Options

Canon 5D Mark IV vs Sony a7r III

legionxstudioslegionxstudios Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone have practical experience in using both cameras?

I am looking at upgrading my current 5D Mark III to something newer for this year. I do a wide range of work, from wedding photography and video, landscape, portraits, and some occasional commercial stuff, so obviously I want something that is great for all types of photography.

My biggest concerns with the Sony are adapting my current Canon lenses and the loss of features that comes with adapting lenses, and the concerns around video autofocus, which I have heard is quite unreliable with Canon lenses. Am I better off just sticking with the 5D Mark IV even though it's not a huge upgrade from the Mark III, and maybe not the best value for my money, or is the Sony a7r III good enough with the Canon lenses that it's worth making the switch?

Thanks,
Tudor

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
    edited January 28, 2018

If you intend to keep using your Canon lenses then by all means, stay with a Canon camera to host the lens.
    I gather that the latest lens adapters from Metabones does pretty well in good light, high-contrast direct sunlight for instance, but indoors and low light outdoors it suffers.

Add the fact that you lose AF Assist from a competent flash, like the original Canon 580EX (which I still prefer over newer models), and event photography gets hit and miss for focus.

Also, look at the Canon 5D Mark IV dynamic range and SNR in low light/high-ISO; the Canon holds its own. Low light is really the area where those metrics count.

(Both images from, and courtesy of, https://dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7R-III-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV___1187_1106)

So, my recommendation is to purchase the 5D Mark IV with the full knowledge that you really are using a body/lens system which match and improved dynamic range where it matters.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
    edited January 28, 2018

Rereading your post, if you wish to use the Canon 5D Mark IV for long-format video, the 4K capability is not designed for that. The 4K recording format is M-JPEG, basically an all-I format with low compression.

1080p is fine but do make sure to get an upgraded 5D Mark IV with Canon C-Log to use with high-contrast scenes which you intend to color grade later.
    https://usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/see-legendary/canon-log
    Videomaker - We got C-log on our Canon 5D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark IV CLog Firmware Upgrade 4K High ISO Cinematography Test

For video lenses do make sure that you have recent versions of the 24-70mm, f2.8 and 70-200mm, f2.8, specifically the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. These newer versions apparently have a better AF section which yields better results used with the 5D Mark III and Mark IV, and the 1D X and 1D X Mark II, according to Roger Cicala:

Autofocus Reality Part 3B: Canon Cameras

While Roger only tested lenses for still images, some folks are noticing improved video AF used with Dual-Pixel AF like the 5D Mark IV. (Dual-Pixel AF is a type of Phase Detection autofocus, like that used for the still image section.)

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins

@legionxstudios said:
    This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone have practical experience in using both cameras?

I am looking at upgrading my current 5D Mark III to something newer for this year. I do a wide range of work, from wedding photography and video, landscape, portraits, and some occasional commercial stuff, so obviously I want something that is great for all types of photography.

My biggest concerns with the Sony are adapting my current Canon lenses and the loss of features that comes with adapting lenses, and the concerns around video autofocus, which I have heard is quite unreliable with Canon lenses. Am I better off just sticking with the 5D Mark IV even though it's not a huge upgrade from the Mark III, and maybe not the best value for my money, or is the Sony a7r III good enough with the Canon lenses that it's worth making the switch?

Thanks,

Tudor

probably but mirrorless is the future even though Canon doesn't offer a full frame mirrorless camera

flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

• Options
    TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins

Sell all gear and buy Sony :) or keep Canon.

Personaly, I sold all my Nikon gear and buy Sony. But it is my choice because I cand use my Zeiss Contax lenses now and I bought a lot of legend lens. Il like to work in manual focus. I have two Loxia and one Batis and I will buy the Loxia 21 mm. A lot of lenses possibilities.

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins

I have Sony gear and am considering a return to Canon. But I agree, stick with the brand. I tried a Canon 70-200/2.8IS o a a7rII, and, nope. It had issues with a metabones adapter in use, Avoid adapters as much as you can!

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@luckyrwe said:
    I have Sony gear and am considering a return to Canon. But I agree, stick with the brand. I tried a Canon 70-200/2.8IS o a a7rII, and, nope. It had issues with a metabones adapter in use, Avoid adapters as much as you can!

Which gen metabones did you use? A friend has the new gen 5 and swears by it.

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins

I don't know but it was over two years ago if that helps.

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@luckyrwe said:

Thanks, that helps. The V5 model came out a year ago and might focus better than the version you had.

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins

@kdog said:

@luckyrwe said:

Thanks, that helps. The V5 model came out a year ago and might focus better than the version you had.

Probably both the older adapter and the older camera.

The Sony Mark III's use the adaptors much better than the Mark II's.

For video work, you'll do better with native glass.

dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.