Assigning Smugmug home page to a page in another domain?

sgrottasgrotta Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited January 29, 2018 in SmugMug Customization

For my new WordPress website (www.SallyWienerGrotta.com), the Nav Bar currently points SallyWienerGrotta.com/Photo_Galleries to my Smugmug home page. However, I feel that folks will be confused by the fact that when they select Photo Galleries from my main site's Nav Bar, the URL address bar changes to pixels.smugmug.com. In other words, it appears as though they've now been redirected to another site. So, I'd like to set my Smugmug home page to be a page within SallyWienerGrotta.com... specifically SallyWienerGrotta.com/Photo_Galleries

I've created a subdomain -- photo-gallery.sallywienergrotta.com -- which points to pixels.smugmug.com. But that doesn't achieve what I want.

I see that I can assign a custom domain in my Smugmug account settings. Do I put SallyWienerGrotta.com/Photo_Galleries in that field? What else do I need to do to achieve the effect I've described?

Thank you, Sally

Tagged:

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator

As far as I know you have two options for your smug site URL - it can be a domain or a subdomain. It can't be a folder within a domain.

photo-gallery.sallywienergrotta.com should be entered in the custom domain field in your SmugMug account settings.

• sgrottasgrotta Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2018

Solved.

I did that. But the interface won't allow it. The message is: "That hostname doesn't appear to be valid. Your hostname needs to be setup using a CNAME record at your domain registrar." However, I had my site registrar assign a CNAME.

Is there a CNAME format that smugmug is looking for? The current one is photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com (which is the subdomain name).

Here's the specific scenario:

• On the main website's Nav Bar, www.sallywienergrotta.com/photo-galleries currently points to pixels.smugmug.com
    • I want the URL address bar on the browser to show a sallywienergrotta.com page (or subdomain) when a view clicks on my photo galleries link
    • I've created a subdomain with the CNAME domains.smugmug.com at the host/registrar (SiteGround)
    • When I put www.photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com in the Custom Domain field in my Smugmug account page, I get the above error message.
    • I tried it without the www., with http://www., and, just to see what would happen, with the address www.sallywienergrotta.com/photo-galleries. Every variation shows an error message.

Any suggestions of how to get this to work? Many thanks, Sally

:

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited January 29, 2018

@sgrotta said:

• I want the URL address bar on the browser to show a sallywienergrotta.com page (or subdomain) when a view clicks on my photo galleries link

Once your site is set up properly in smugmug account settings your viewer will see the subdomain for your site.

@sgrotta said:

• On the main website's Nav Bar, www.sallywienergrotta.com/photo-galleries currently points to pixels.smugmug.com

Nothing on your main website should point to this smugmug URL. Given that you are trying to use a subdomain for your smugmug site, your main websites menu should point to the subdomain.

For an example of someone else using WordPress as the main site and their smug site as a subdomain, look at @Hikin' Mike site:
    https://www.imagesinthebackcountry.com/ is the main site
    https://gallery.imagesinthebackcountry.com/ points to the smugmug galleries

@sgrotta said:

• When I put www.photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com in the Custom Domain field in my Smugmug account page, I get the above error message.

www is only valid if using a domain, not a subdomain.

Have you tried photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com in the Custom Domain field on your smug page?
    Have you set up the subdomain photo-galleries.salleywientergrotta.com in your registrar's page to define your site?

Smugmug help page is at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93340-setting-up-a-custom-hostname-domain.

If you continue to have problems you might want to contact the help desk, http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

• MarcQuinlivanMarcQuinlivan Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2018

You need to create the CNAME with your DNS host for www.photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com and point it to domains.smugmug.com if you want the URL to be www.photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com

What you have done is to set up a CNAME for photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com pointing to domains.smugmug.com. This will only allow you to use photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com as your custom domain.

If you create the CNAME for www.photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com you can then use www.photo-galleries.sallywienergrotta.com as your custom domain.