Dgrin Mini-Challenge #260 - Paths, Trails, and Roads Less Traveled

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
edited January 17, 2018 in The Dgrin Challenges

Let's see some trails, pathways, lanes and roads! Entries may also include people and animals using, crossing, or even blocking the way. Paved roads - and sidewalks - are fine but would prefer not to have busy thoroughfares.

Looking forward to seeing your entries!

This challenge will end on Thursday, February 1st, at 6 pm Eastern Standard time.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Here are a few examples. I will try to add more later:

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 17, 2018

Here's my 3:
    1 Fork in road

2 Garden Path to Fountain. St. Petersburg Russia

3 Top of Rainforest mountain road in Madeira.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2018

Here are a couple

1) Path to the Sea (California 1965)

2) Willemstad - Dutch village (inside of a Star Fort)

3) Doves on a Cemetery Road

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2018

This is a tough one for me. Since most of our recreation involves riding a bike on a path or road of some sort or wandering on a path or trail, I have hundreds of choices which bring back many fond memories. Here are three of my personal favorites:

1) The "Waalwege" in Schenna, Italy (South Tirol) are a network of paths bordered by century old canals used to irrigate the many hillside vineyards and orchards.

2) Last summer's cycling vacation took us to Burgundy. This was taken jjust outside the village of Pommard - those vineyards are growing very expensive grapes!

3) This one I took a few years ago riding through a nearby forest. I came upon the scene and slammed on my brakes and whipped the camera out of my handlebar bag. Fortunately the long zoom was already mounted and I was able to capture this sweet father/daughter scene from a distance..

Just for fun:
    In the forest not far from my house. This was taken on the way home from work one afternoon last summer.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Great to see so many great entries here already! Thank you, @JAG, @grandmaR and @sarasphotos!

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    1. Friends

2. This is at Muleshoe Bend State Park between Austin and Marble Falls, TX. a couple of years ago. In all my years of living in Texas, I have never seen the bluebonnets so widespread and so thick as they were at this park. We were there on a chilly, foggy, overcast day and it was still beautiful. None of my pictures do any justice at all to the scene. It was several miles of blue as far as the eye could see.

A few more from Muleshoe Bend, not for judging. This area so flush with bluebonnets that year is normally under the lake, but due to the drought (at the time) the wildflowers were just so phenomenal. Last spring, we had so much rain that lake levels are back to normal and sadly this area is now under water again. But, wow, was it drop-dead gorgeous a couple of years ago!

Anyone interested can see the full gallery here: https://psphotos.smugmug.com/Nature/Muleshoe-Bend-Recreation-Area/

Sherry P.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Thank you for entries, @slpollett. I love seeing these fields of bluebonnets! We were in Austin, Texas a few years ago and saw a few but nothing like this display. :)

• CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.

@CHANDLERJA Jeromy, I love the the red truck rushing by in your 2nd shot!

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2018

@sarasphotos Wow, Sara. Your entry number three is out of this world. It has everything a good photo needs - a superb composition, great light and a very emotional subject. Well done!

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Oh, thanks @kurzvorzwoelf , I've always been fonds of that photo.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Waiting for the fog to lift, otherwise it's not safe to continue

Less travelled path, probably better with these shady characters around

A man and his dogs, a nice walk through the crisp morning cold

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Great theme & some awesome entries! Love all the bluebells & the forest walks, lovely shots!

1. Hairpin

2. Glad somebody had a chainsaw (also glad I wasn't driving!)

3. Evening walk

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Fun to come back (from a chilly weekend in Phoenix) and see entries from @CHANDLERJA, @pegelli, and @lkbart! Thank you!

• gazoogazoo Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins

edited January 31, 2018

@gazoo thank you for your entry!

I am enjoying the variety of entries. There is still time for folks to enter this mini. It will end on Thursday at 6pm EST.

• StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins

This is a fun topic--and there have been so many great entries! I end up with lots of photos of paths and walks and (often) the backs of loved ones, because I am always playing catch up to the three men in my family with their long, long legs. I'll share a few:

1. Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, California, United States

2. Hadrian's Wall, Northumberland National Park, England

3. St. Fagens National Museum of History, Cardiff, Wales

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

1) A fern trail

2) Into the storm

3) Buggy ride

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Just back from a trip to Cuba, so I am sliding in under the wire yet again. I have three from my archives, and threw in one from Cuba as a bonus (just to share). I am loving the inspiration in the great images

1. Baker Range from Mount Cheam

Mount Baker in September

A long way from anywhere, British Columbia

Street and houses, Sancti Spiritus, Cuba

edited February 1, 2018

@DavidRGillespie - thank you for your great entries. Could you let me know which 3 of the 4 you would like to be your “official” entries! Thanks.

Flying home from a conference today and will close the mini around 6pm tonight. Then comes the hard part! But great to have so many fine images shared here.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Thanks Gretchen. The first three are the "official" entries.

This mini is now closed. I just returned from a conference, but will try to post results this weekend. Thank you all for participating!

(And David, thank you for the clarification!)

• BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2018

Oops! I did not notice the challenge was closed. Sorry!

1. Tunnel on Blue Ridge Parkway

1. Blue Ridge Parkway

1. Top of the World Highway