So What's Sports?

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

If bicycle racing is considered a sport... Why isn't super cross considered a sport.. since there are winners & losers

Or bull riding.. where the bull and the rider are judged...

Or drags...

There are others, but I'm just asking....

Rags

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

@torags said:
    If bicycle racing is considered a sport... Why isn't super cross considered a sport.. since there are winners & losers

Who says they aren't?

I looked carefully and could not find a czar of sports, who gets to set the definitions (much less an international czar of sports).

Heck, I think Sports Photography should be a sport, that means your last shot (which seems more of the photographers) is actually capturing an action shot in the sport of sport photography.

Internet posting about sports... now maybe that's a sport as well, though I do not think you want photos of most people's state when they are online. :o

Nice shots by the way.

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Thanks for the response Ferguson

A few years ago there was a dust up about group sports being the "real" thing

I didn't agree and backed off; I just wanted to take the temperature of today's opinion

Rags

@torags said:
    Thanks for the response Ferguson

A few years ago there was a dust up about group sports being the "real" thing

I didn't agree and backed off; I just wanted to take the temperature of today's opinion

Interesting that people care enough to dispute it.

Looking back I have some jousting at renn fairs, dueling pianos, ultimate frisby, beach soccer, a carboard boat race, kite and wind surfing, roller derby, and ... wait for it....

And yes, those are adults not kids, and it is a riding lawnmower race.

So I suspect I might disqualify on a lot of fronts, and the fear will keep me awake I'm sure :'(

:D:D:D

Rags
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins

I say they are all sports, and I want to see the pics! A buddy and I used to argue about "athletes"--he was not a car racing fan and felt a guy sitting in a car for a few hours didn't qualify. If it involves people or animals competing (with or without machines) I am good with the "sport" label.

I agree

About 6 or 7 years ago before the smartphone revolution in photography;

the photog's who used to shoot kids sports to high school were the most vocal opponents.

That business has melted away when parents could take pics of their kids with their smart phones.

I was just testing the water..., thanks for posting...

Rags
  • monk_monk_ New member Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    Such great pictures! You caught the right moment.
  • DyunDyun Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins

@Photogbiker said:
    I say they are all sports, and I want to see the pics! A buddy and I used to argue about "athletes"--he was not a car racing fan and felt a guy sitting in a car for a few hours didn't qualify. If it involves people or animals competing (with or without machines) I am good with the "sport" label.

Your friend is wrong (as I'm sure you know). It takes great stamina and good physique to be able to withstand the "g" forces and mental fatigue problem-solving for long periods of time. Most of these guys are very fit and work out on a regular basis.

• DyunDyun Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins

@torags said:
    Or drags...
    There are others, but I'm just asking....

I definitely consider all of those a "sport". Not sure why anyone would not consider them sports since they all require physical strength, balance and stamina in order to win.

• KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins

By definition: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

@KellyC said:
    By definition: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

So video games, pub crawls, and the romantic pursuit of another (so long as there is another suitor) all qualify?

edited May 26, 2018

@KellyC said:
    By definition: an activity involving physical exertion... and/OR... skill in which an individual... AND/or ... team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Target shooting and archery require little physical activity... yet...

Rags
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2019

I agree, torags. I also don't remember anyone here saying those aren't sports, and don't know anyone who would say that. Having done several track days on my motorcycle, I can tell you it's exhausting.

However, Curling is not a sport, no matter what anybody says. :p

-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.