That Tree in Yellowstone

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Here is an image of a tree in Yellowstone that is well known to many. It is featured on the dinner menu in the Snow Lodge in Yellowstone

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

This is gorgeous!
    I like the simplicity of the lines in the snow with the complexity of the tree.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited February 23, 2018

Thanks Denise, it is a splendid scene of great beauty. Lots of ways to shoot it; here is another one - not sure which I like the best. Lets see what the viewers think is the best

edited February 23, 2018

Anyone see a face in this formation? I call this image Pareidolia in Yellowstone....

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

Both have merit, but I rather prefer the second version simply because there are two protruding limbs in the second which better fill the space.

The first image does have that wonderful bank behind the tree with a curve which acts as a natural boundary line.

Thinking back, which scene struck you first and why?

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Kevin, I go back and forth about which I prefer. When at the scene it was going to be a long lens shot, as there was at least 200 yards of 5 or 6 foot deep snow in the valley in front of the tree.

I began shooting several different variations all with a 100-400mm lens. We weren't going to change the bearing to the tree very much since we were so far away and on foot in snow country.

I didn't even think to shoot a pano, as we were only there for a few minutes, and I do regret that, as I shoot a fair number of hand held mid-tele panos when wandering about.

Oh, it was snowing too, so there is a bit of softening from the snow in the air.

I finally decided that it was either to shoot the tree as the subject, kind of like in the second image, or the snowbank as the subject with the tree as grace note, as in the first image.

If I had to choose, I would choose number 1, i think. I don't really see much different in the aspect of the tree itself, to my eye.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

I view both images with the tree as subject. From that mental perspective the first scene is both isolated and lonely, while the second is more simply isolated. The additional detail visible in the second image tree is an additional attraction, pulling me into the scene.

Two completely different 'vibes' of the same view, but both have power and interest.

I think that printing both images very large may show the respective strengths more clearly, but no clear winner with both being very well seen and captured.

Cool beans!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

I like both #1 and #2. As Ziggy said, they each have a different feeling. If I were forced to choose, I'd take the second because I really like the delicate detail of the branches, which is more pronounced in the closer version. Oh, and yes, I see a face in #3, though I had to look up pareidolia :blush:

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I like them both but prefer #1 because of the wonderful exposure of that curving snow bank. And in this case, I prefer the "isolated and lonely" view to the "simply isolated". They are both wonderful exposures!

One of the things I enjoy here is that I'm always learning new things... "pareidolia" - what a great word!

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I also prefer # 1, I like the isolation of the tree.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2018

Both pictures are very appealing to me. I'm with Sara and Denise as to favouring #1 because of similar reasons - it just shows the vaste amount of nothing else than snow around that tree, and this is triggering more of an emotion to me. The thought about isolation probably triggers emotion in many. Also, I love the patterns and shadows of #1 in the snow a lot!

Number 2 is visually appealing, but does not really work for my mind.

Number 3 somewhat reminds me of the statues on Easter Islands, just with snow around it. Awesome :)

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

The first one has more context and emphasizes the isolation of the tree. I think that's why I prefer it. Luckily, you don't have to choose--you have two fine shots.

You could shoot it almost anyway you wanted in the light that afternoon and come home with a very nice image. It was lovely to see.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweeeeeeeeet!!! Love it!