Remove content block limit/blogs

RobintaRobinta Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
Hi all. On my site I like to have a blog showing monthly updates and photos that won't be in my main portfolio. I've been using a standalone page but seem to have hit the limit for the amount of contact blocks on one page.

I was going to redirect to a standalone blog with a similar theme such as blogger but is there a way to get around the content block limit instead.

Thanks

robin
Tagged:

Comments

• RobintaRobinta Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    Sorry...if anyone wants a look my site is www.robintaylorphotography.uk.

Ta
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 26, 2018

@Robinta said:
    Hi all. On my site I like to have a blog showing monthly updates and photos that won't be in my main portfolio. I've been using a standalone page but seem to have hit the limit for the amount of contact blocks on one page.

I was going to redirect to a standalone blog with a similar theme such as blogger but is there a way to get around the content block limit instead.

Have you considered having your blog page be essentially an entry point for multiple blog entries? Instead of having all entries on one page, add a new page for each entry. The blog entry from your menu would open a page that shows a simple entry for each blog page. That entry would take the viewer to the blog entry for the day which could then be another page. A plus to that approach is that you will allow your viewers to see individual blog entries without needing to scroll through many days.

Hi Denise...that's definitely an option I hadn't thought of.

Thanks !
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

Another option is if you're going to blog frequently, why not use a tool specifically for blogging? SmugMug is great to display pictures, but not so much as a blog. I would either use Blogger like @denisegoldberg uses or WordPress (like me).

> @"Hikin' Mike" said:
    > Another option is if you're going to blog frequently, why not use a tool specifically for blogging? SmugMug is great to display pictures, but not so much as a blog. I would either use Blogger like @denisegoldberg uses or WordPress (like me).

Thanks Mike..I have considered using Blogger,I wanted it to be as seamless an option as possible if using a 3rd party site but don't want to pay for it (I know !). And wordpress would be chargeable.

How's the about me photo broken ?

It seems ok when I go onto the site (my ugly mug and the seascape under the text as background)
    edited February 26, 2018

@Robinta said:
    Thanks Mike..I have considered using Blogger,I wanted it to be as seamless an option as possible if using a 3rd party site but don't want to pay for it (I know !). And wordpress would be chargeable

I don't see a photo (other than the background photo) on your about page. Make sure it is in a gallery that is viewable by the public. It can be unlisted but it can't be private.

Blogger can be pretty seamless - take a look at my site for an example.

@Robinta Are you aware that you can use the minifooter instead of the full smugmug footer?

• Customize
    • Content and Design
    • Click Settings on the top bar
    • Change SmugMug Footer to Mini

@Robinta said:
    > @Hikin' Mike said:

> Another option is if you're going to blog frequently, why not use a tool specifically for blogging? SmugMug is great to display pictures, but not so much as a blog. I would either use Blogger like @denisegoldberg uses or WordPress (like me).

Thanks Mike..I have considered using Blogger,I wanted it to be as seamless an option as possible if using a 3rd party site but don't want to pay for it (I know !). And wordpress would be chargeable.

It seems ok when I go onto the site (my ugly mug and the seascape under the text as background)

WordPress is free. I use the self-hosting version. My website is powered by WordPress. I created a sub-domain for my SmugMug site. In your case, you can create a sub-domain (blog.robintaylorphotography.uk) and upload WordPress there. If you have to pay to add a sub-domain, you may need to switch hosts.

You About Me photo is most likely in a private gallery, so only you can see it. I only see a "broken image" on top of your content.

@"Hikin' Mike"
    The About Me pic was indeed broken.. thanks for the heads up (and the pain you have inflicted on the digital world