to Acadia

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

As mid-October approached I sensed it was time for a visit to Acadia National Park. I try to visit (at least) two times each year, always avoiding summer's prime tourist season.

I headed to Maine on October 16th, choosing to take the back roads from just past Augusta. I jumped onto Route 3 heading to Belfast and the coast.

1 :: the Penobscot Narrows Bridge rises above plants and trees wearing autumn colors

From the coastal route I headed down the Blue Hill Peninsula and over the very narrow bridge to Deer Isle for a quick visit to the town of Stonington. (If you're interested in bridges, you may find this article to be interesting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_Isle_Bridge.)

2 :: color on the ground

3 :: Stonington harbor

4 :: Stonington

5 :: Stonington

I headed back up the peninsula to reach the road leading into Ellsworth then turned south towards Bar Harbor, ending my day at the Holland Inn, my home away from home for a few days.

After a good B&B breakfast I headed to Northeast Harbor to check the colors at the Asticou Azalea Garden. It's a wonderful place to visit in the spring when the azaleas are in bloom. I think it's also worth a visit in the fall.

6 :: autumn color at Asticou

Finally, it was time for my real destination, Acadia National Park. I chose to stay in the main section of the park my first day there.

It was a challenging time for photography; the sky was pure blue and the angle of the sun was autumn low. I have to admit that I much prefer clouds!

7 :: along Park Loop Road

8 :: autumn in the Wild Gardens of Acadia

9 :: painted leaves

10 :: a view of Jesup Path

11 :: behind Sand Beach

12 :: along Ocean Path

13 :: a bit of color and very low water at Jordan Pond

The next morning I headed to my favorite part of the park, the tip of the Schoodic Peninsula.

14 :: on the tip of the Schoodic Peninsula

15 :: on the tip of the Schoodic Peninsula

16 :: on the tip of the Schoodic Peninsula

17 :: scattered people on the tip of the Schoodic Peninsula - can you imagine this in summer?

18 :: late day light at the top of Cadillac Mountain

19 :: looking away from the setting sun, at the top of Cadillac Mountain

20 :: just past sunset (still looking away!), at the top of Cadillac Mountain

21 :: a last morning in the park, looking back to Sand Beach from the Ocean Path

22 :: leaf drop along Ocean Path

It was a short but good trip.

If you're interested in seeing more photos from this trip you can find them at http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Travel/Acadia-October-2017.

Comments