Dgrin Mini-Challenge #262 - Lines, patterns, repetitions

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
edited February 21, 2018 in The Dgrin Challenges

Lines, patterns, repetitions are everywhere. In this mini-challenge you are invited to catch the finest specimens! Your photo should contain all 3 aspects (though it would be hard to find an example of a pattern without repetitions and lines, or a pattern without repetition ...)

This challenge will run until March 11, 19:00 pm Greenwich (UK) time

To get you thinking here's a few examples that would fit what I am looking for

Winefields:

Architecture:

Squares

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to what you have to offer!

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Cool idea, Pieter. I'm looking forward to some interesting entries!

Since I'll be traveling in a couple of weeks, I won't officially enter this time, but I thought I'd get things rolling by posting these just for fun. Actually I was surprised at how many pictures I had that seem to fit the theme.

Are these what you had in mind? ...or not enough lines or patterns???

1) Chateau de Carcassonne, France, early 13th century; the handwork of a wall

2) Olympia Park, Munich, Germany, 1972; Olympia tower as seen through the roof of the stadium

3) Jacques Coeur's mansion, Bourges, France, 15th century; private chapel ceiling

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 23, 2018

Great challenge Pieter!

1 Buckingham Palace fencing

2 Hier Is De Hospitale Van Sint Jans (This was on the sign that was on the building of these bricks. I think it says 'here is the hospital of St. Jans, but I don't know the language. Bruges, Belgium)

3 Egypt's cruise port building (much more interesting to look at then snow with shadows!)

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

At first blush lines, patterns and repetitions may sound boring but the above 6 pictures show how diverse and inspirational this theme can be used. Thanks for the examples Sara and thanks for entering Joyce. All great images!

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

A really great challenge, Pieter. This especially made me realize I have a keywording problem. Line, pattern and repeat are keywords I have not typically used - but no more!

Gallery and ramps, Canadian Museum of Human Rights, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

An ice-covered wire fence

A repeating rail in Baracoa, Cuba - mainly included as a counterpoint to Joyce's Buckingham Palace fence :)

@DavidRGillespie Love that ice-covered fence - I really had to read the title to figure out what it was!

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2018

You say tom - 8 - oh, I say ...

pp

(totally 'fresh' pic, btw, taken < hr ago ...)

Great entries so far, and good humour too :)

Keep em coming!

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2018

Since I'm not as good a photographer as many of you, I decided to try to add some things that are a little different.

1. Farmers Fields This was a pastel drawing that I did when I was a senior in HS. The patchwork of fields reminded me of a plaid

2. Smocking My mother smoked dresses for me, and I did this one for my children

3. Sydney Harbour Bridge This was the first photo I thought of when this topic was proposed

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

I'm going to have to dig really deep. I'm not sure I have much of anything.

1. Maybe this one...

I'll keep looking....

Sherry

• cendrinemediacendrinemedia Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    What a great challenge! @puzzledpaul, I feel a particular connection with your photo!

Cendrine Marrouat
    Nature, B&W and closeup photography: https://www.cendrinemedia.com

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

@cendrinemedia said:
    ... @puzzledpaul, I feel a particular connection with your photo!

Maybe our food / eating habits / diets / cuisine etc overlap in some way and this is being transmitted through the 'ether' ?
    The pic is little more than a 'grab' shot ... of a box of tomato puree and other 'food spread' tubes.
    When said material has been scoffed, I slice the top off the tube, open it out into a single layer, clean and flatten to some extent ... then store in a cardboard box.
    The grade of aluminium used for such tubes is very useful to a 'bodger' like me - very easy to work if trying out ideas for things ... or just for washers / spacers etc

I have been known to buy new (to me) tubes of the stuff for my 'collection' tho ...

I just took the box into the back garden when there was a bit of late afternoon (low) sun, stood over it and took a few shots - this is one.

pp

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I was hoping to take fresh photos for this challenge as I did for the last, but after one attempt I realized that the awkward cast on my right hand is making photography difficult right now. So I settled for one new and two from my archives but new to Dgrin.

1. Spire Reflections

2. Architectural detail, San Diego Convention Center

3. Chrome Heaven, Grill Detail, 1930 Duesenberg J Convertible Sedan

~~Barbara
  • GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Houston
    Elegant Escalator

San Diego
    They gave all

New York
    The Oculus

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2018

Great theme! Realized I have no photos where the focus is the pattern. Some very awesome shots here!
    Had been wanting to take some shots of the stairs my hubbie built, finally did it

Photobomb

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited March 11, 2018

Love the variety of entries here! I am contributing some photos but please don't consider as entries. (Got back from a trip to South Africa just in time for a big snowfall and power outage, so still playing catch up here.) Thanks.

1) Walkway in Chicago O'Hare Airport

2) Looking through the Gate in Basel, Switzerland

3) A Church in South Africa (designed by an architect I know)

This mini is now closed, thanks for all the entries.
    I'll need one or two days to come up with the results so hopefully they will be up early next week.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug