How to market my photos?

Diane_BrinkDiane_Brink Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
Hi! This is my first time here. I was directed to this forum by Vivian. I am new at this and would really love some guidance as to how to sell .my photos. I love taking photos and would love to make some income by selling some.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 16, 2018

@Diane_Brink said:
    I am new at this and would really love some guidance as to how to sell .my photos. I love taking photos and would love to make some income by selling some.

What type of photos do you shoot? Are you asking about selling in a shop / gallery, or are you asking about selling online? Selling online is very difficult; getting your photos accepted for sale at a gallery can be quite difficult as well.

It would be helpful to see your photos. Do you have an online gallery that you can share? (You haven't been a member long enough to post an active URL but you should be able to enter your site as text.

As a start, take a look at the advice given in the thread I need suggestions for getting sales in this forum. That thread essentially asked the same question you are asking.

• monk_monk_ New member Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    What about creating a blog or Instagram page. Then after you get followers and traffic to your page you will get sponsored posts and get paid pretty good money for them.
  • DyunDyun Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins

@Diane_Brink said:
    Hi! This is my first time here. I was directed to this forum by Vivian. I am new at this and would really love some guidance as to how to sell .my photos. I love taking photos and would love to make some income by selling some.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

It depends on what kind of photography you enjoy. Event photography can be very profitable; for example weddings, parties, shows, etc. but you have to prove yourself in that field and deliver results that people are going to like. Order yourself some business cards, attend events, hand them out and upload your photos to your SmugMug site. Direct people to your website so they can order prints or downloads.

Nature photography is the toughest to sell, IMO. Unless you build a big reputation, it won't be easy. Most wildlife photographers turning a profit are those who organize photo tours and photography workshops.

You could sell merchandise with your photos printed on t-shirts, stickers, magnets, etc,... make cards, calendars, posters, big prints, etc. and sell them at fairs as well as online. Get inside the head of your customers and try to figure out what YOU would want to spend your money on.

Social media is one way to get your name out there, but it's a lot of work and you have to be able to offer something that the other million photographers don't.