Options

Text content block, difference between Heading 1 2 3 4 and Normal? (SEO questions)

sdbsdb Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins

Hi All,
I've a doubt regarding the format of the texts I use throughout the site.

I use the Raleway font (heading font wight Light 200) and in all my text in the site is with Heading 1 option. Among the various options and sizes, is what comes closest to what I'm looking for, including a wide spacing, which for example in the default Text settings "normal" is not available (for me too small, too little spacing and confusing to read with this kind of fonts).
Take a look between Heading 1 (above) and Normal (below):

My questions.

1) From what I understand the Heading refers to H1..H2 tag etc. that should be used only for titles and not as body text tag, when looking at SEO optimization. Is it right?

2) For the SmugMug structure, does it make any difference if everything is set to Heading 1 or should I change it? And in this case, should I use Heading 2..3..4 for the body text or only the "Normal" default option?

3) If I should use Normal (o H2..3..4), how can I make it visually similar to Heading 1? I tried unsuccessfully through HTML editors...maybe with some CSS?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2018

You should only use H1, H2 etc for titles ONLY. If you want your body text to look like the H1, H2 etc, use CSS to increase the size/weight.

I would NOT use text blocks. I would use HTML/CSS blocks instead. Easier to add CSS.

• Options

@Hikin' Mike said:
    You should only use H1, H2 etc for titles ONLY. If you want your body text to look like the H1, H2 etc, use CSS to increase the size/weight.

I would NOT use text blocks. I would use HTML/CSS blocks instead. Easier to add CSS.

Thank you Mike, surely a dummy question mine, but having never thought about it was important to me. I've to change my whole text settings.

Regarding HTML/CSS content block, sure in this way I've more option. But...I tried a lot, recently and at the beginning after my SmugMug subscription...without success. Tried with HTML editor and WORD to HTML editor (WYSIWYG) but it's something that I can't manage at the moment. Do you have any suggestions on how to use the HTML/CSS content block, or a command that I can add? I really think it's too long to explain and I'm not asking you to teach me a lesson! :-)

This last day I tried to find solutions, and maybe I found it on this website https://www.cssfontstack.com/Raleway
    I've done a test:
    1) On this site, I set the font as I wanted it and copied the part rearding "p" that I think is related to Paragraph (="Normal" in text content block). Paragraph is the right setting for the body text? This is the CSS code

p {
    font-family: Raleway;
    font-size: 18px;
    font-style: normal;
    font-variant: normal;
    font-weight: 100;
    line-height: 30px;
    }

2) I have pasted this CSS code on the entire site
    3) Created a Text content block with "Normal" setting (not H1,2,3,4)

And it works! Looks very similar to the text that I use now with H1 setting.

What do you think about? The important for me is that it's is correct from the web language point of view.

• Options

@sdb said:
    Regarding HTML/CSS content block, sure in this way I've more option. But...I tried a lot, recently and at the beginning after my SmugMug subscription...without success. Tried with HTML editor and WORD to HTML editor (WYSIWYG) but it's something that I can't manage at the moment. Do you have any suggestions on how to use the HTML/CSS content block, or a command that I can add? I really think it's too long to explain and I'm not asking you to teach me a lesson! :-)

Never use Word or any HTML Editor. They tend to add junk to the code. I use 'Notepad++' (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/) but you can use plain old Notepad.

• Options

@sdb said:

What do you think about? The important for me is that it's is correct from the web language point of view.

Yes, that will work. As you learn more about HTML/CSS, there are many ways to "skin a cat", so to speak...lol!

• Options

Thank you for confirming the correctness of the code and for your suggestion about Notepad++. I'll keep it in mind if one day I'll learn more. I know, to do things well you should learn how to skin a cat :D ... the basics of web language. Now, I really have no time...my "to do" list is very long and I've other priorities at the moment.

On the other hand, however, if one day I'll learn more, I'd probably start from zero in building a web site, without choosing a portfolio platform like this or others similar.

For now I'll use the above CSS code and I'll be happy anyway.