Options

Mailchimp Popup Possible?

KentinadaKentinada Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins

So many websites I have visited have a popup that shows up after a few seconds asking me if I want to subscribe to their newsletter. Is this possible on SmugMug? I do use Mailchimp for my blog newsletter subscriptions. Or is this considered bad form?

web: www.adahighlanderphotography.com
FB: www.facebook.com/adahighlanderphotography.com
blog: blog.adahighlanderphotography.com

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator

Use of JavaScript is not supported on SmugMug sites. If the Mailchimp popup uses JavaScript (I suspect it does) you won't be able to add it to your site.

• Options

Ugh, it's stuff like this that frustrate me greatly with SmugMug. They do so much well but then things like are almost enough to push me to Wordpress.

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,453 Major grins

@Kentinada said:
    Ugh, it's stuff like this that frustrate me greatly with SmugMug. They do so much well but then things like are almost enough to push me to Wordpress.

@Kentinada said:

I use a popup blocker because I HATE popups.

That said, you can have both. SmugMug does a great job displaying photos and running the eCommerce. WordPress does a great job being a blog and being able to use plugins (like Mailchimp) to create a subscribe form.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

@Hikin' Mike said:

Me too. If one sneaks passed my pop up blocker I'm off the site in a heartbeat. There are far better ways to engage potential customers than by using pop ups.

Steve

Website
  • Options

@Hikin' Mike said:

@Kentinada said:

@Kentinada said:

That said, you can have both. SmugMug does a great job displaying photos and running the eCommerce. WordPress does a great job being a blog and being able to use plugins (like Mailchimp) to create a subscribe form.

Thanks Mike. Right now I am running a Business level account on SmugMug. Would I still need to keep that level or could I cut back to a Portfolio account? Any idea?

• Options

@Cygnus Studios said:

@Hikin' Mike said:

Me too. If one sneaks passed my pop up blocker I'm off the site in a heartbeat. There are far better ways to engage potential customers than by using pop ups.

Thanks @Cygnus Studios I am just looking for ways to grow my readership. Popups - bad idea. :)

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

As I mentioned here in this pop up thread, you can focus on creating an incentive plan that will engage potential clients. This works incredibly well on social media. While some will argue that pop ups are still a good thing on blog sites in particular, google has started penalizing sites that they consider using pop ups in an annoying way. As more people complain to google it will get more restrictive.

Steve

Website
  • Options

@Kentinada said:
    Right now I am running a Business level account on SmugMug. Would I still need to keep that level or could I cut back to a Portfolio account? Any idea?

You can see the differences between the plans on this page - https://www.smugmug.com/features. Be sure to open all of the sections to see the features.

A portfolio account allows only a single pricelist to be active at any time. Same pricelist applies to all galleries / photos that you make available for sale. You will see other differences between the plans in the Commerce, Marketing, and Branding sections of that page.

• Options
    GreypicsGreypics Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins

MailChimp Pop-up.
    Is there anyone actually using a Mail Chimp Sign up form successfully on a Pro SmugMug a/c ???

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018

@Greypics said:
    MailChimp Pop-up.
    Is there anyone actually using a Mail Chimp Sign up form successfully on a Pro SmugMug a/c ???

Does the MailChimp form use JavaScript? If it does you can't use in on your SmugMug site.

Do you have another site in addition to your smugmug site? Perhaps a blog hosted elsewhere? If you do then you could explore using a MailChimp form from that site.

As far as I know the only form that is currently supported on a smugmug site via a content block is Wufoo.

• Options

It has Been Confirmed by TOM from SmugMug that the Wufoo form is now not necessary.
    I would dearly like to hear from any one who is currently successfully using a Mail Chimp Sign-up Form DIRECT on Smug and I would really appreciate any tips, as after 3 weeks of trying I still can't find successful instructions to achieve success.
    So far I have not been able to find any smug site actually using a Mail Chimp Pop-up ???

• Options

@Greypics said:
    It has Been Confirmed by TOM from SmugMug that the Wufoo form is now not necessary.

How?

@Greypics said:
    So far I have not been able to find any smug site actually using a Mail Chimp Pop-up ???

The only way that I know is to use WordPress via a plugin...which is what I do.

• Options

To Hikin' Mike,
    After querying Mail Chimps latest claim that they can now supply Sign up & Pop-up Forms DIRECT to SmugMug (Without Wufoo) I was twice told by SmugMug support that IT WAS Necessary to use Wufoo.
    However, in the last week, I received personal confirmation, by the author of the tutorial, Tom. from Smugmug that is no longer the case. Apparently, some SmugMug support staff still need to catch up.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2018

@Greypics said:
    To Hikin' Mike,
    After querying Mail Chimps latest claim that they can now supply Sign up & Pop-up Forms DIRECT to SmugMug (Without Wufoo) I was twice told by SmugMug support that IT WAS Necessary to use Wufoo.
    However, in the last week, I received personal confirmation, by the author of the tutorial, Tom. from Smugmug that is no longer the case. Apparently, some SmugMug support staff still need to catch up.

I just checked (https://gallery.imagesinthebackcountry.com/Smugmug-customization/Adding-a-Mailchimp-Signup-Form). You CAN create a Mailchimp sign-up form on a SmugMug page using a HTML/CSS block. You CANNOT use a pop-up form.

Mailchimp sign-up forms doesn't use Javascript or iFrames. Mailchimp pop-up forms use Javascript.