Recapture

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

The side facade of a 20-story concrete-built apartment block is slowly being overgrown by a thick layer of an Ivy plant. The plant is host to a variety of birds, as far as I could observe.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

I'm not sure B&W is the right treatment for this, since the plant is the interest

Rags
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

@torags said:
    I'm not sure B&W is the right treatment for this, since the plant is the interest

I was unsure as well. The sky is very boring and the greens were quite dark anyway, so I went for the monochrome version, trying to increase the overall contrast in the Ivy at least.

I went back to processing trying to produce a color version. I could do nothing about the sky, but I tried to push the greens in the plant a little:

I also have another exposure in landscape format with a little more detail in the sky and which has more natural (or rather OOC) colors

I find the subject very interesting. Maybe I should revisit the place at a little better lighting conditions, luckily it's somewhat around the corner.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

This is an awesome pic! I like the black and white because it leaves you wondering what's going on. It is reminiscent of 2001 Space Odyssey... The color ones don't have the same impact for me. Nicely seen and captured.

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2018

The colorized shots work for me; then you don't need a title (or explanation)

Great perspective capture - the sky in 2 also adds...

Nice work

Rags

Thank you Cristóbal and Rags for your feedback! Your different opinions show me once again the ambivalence in photography - what works for one does not necessarily work for the other and vice versa.

@Juano I have not seen 2001 yet which I know, probably is a huge cultural gap for me here. Now I have to put it on my watchlist.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Black and white didn't work for me, due to the lack of separation between foliage and building, but I like the color versions very much, particularly the one in landscape orientation.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Yes, what Don said....like the last one best.....it really feels grand.....in all of them I felt the top of the image could use more sky......something that is leading you up.....should let the eyes and imagination continue to flow......just a thought

Thanks for your feedback, Cornflake and Taz.

I will consider your thought next time I'm around that place with a camera and see how it works, Taz :smile: