New version of Lightroom, subscription only

bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Adobe apparently just announced that the new Lightroom Classic will be subscription only. Lightroom 6 will be the last non-subscription version. Lightroom Classic CC will be replacing Lightroom 6 and the current Lightroom CC. The new Lightroom CC will be more for photos from mobile devices, I think. Here's where I read about it:
https://petapixel.com/2017/10/18/bye-bye-lightroom-hello-lightroom-cc-faster-lightroom-classic/

I had been thinking about getting the Lightroom 6 upgrade for $79. I mostly use Lightroom 4, and occasionally Photoshop CS6 (yes, I'm living in the past but I'm usually OK with that). I really don't want to go the subscription route since I occasionally step away from photography for a while. I would hate to be paying for a subscription that I may not use for months at a time. Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I don't think the upgrade is still available since LR6 is no longer the current version.

~~Barbara

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

There is also Lightroom Classic. Betcha the updates to profiles go away rather quickly though.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 20, 2017

@David_S85 said:
    There is also Lightroom Classic. Betcha the updates to profiles go away rather quickly though.

From what I've read the current Lightroom 6 will be replaced by Lightroom Classic CC and updates to Lightroom 6 (for new cameras) will stop at the end of 2017. Guess if (when) I jump for a new camera I'll also need to switch to Lightroom Classic CC. Still using LR5 right now...

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I may just try to get LR6 while I still can and worry about where I go from there in a few years. I think the opportunity to get the upgrade price is gone since that is direct from Adobe, but Amazon and B&H still have downloads at full price. there are a few upgrades from LR4 that would be nice to have.

~~Barbara
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

AFAIK, Adobe is still offering free DNG converters for the latest cameras. It adds an extra step to your workflow, but it does let you continue to use older versions of both LR and PS with newer cameras. Of course, Adobe can stop doing that whenever they want, so don't count on it.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 20, 2017

@bfluegie said:
    I may just try to get LR6 while I still can and worry about where I go from there in a few years. I think the opportunity to get the upgrade price is gone since that is direct from Adobe, but Amazon and B&H still have downloads at full price. there are a few upgrades from LR4 that would be nice to have.

I still see LR6 on the Adobe website.

1. Go to the Adobe website.
    2. Search for Lightroom 6.
    3. Click Buy.
    4. Change dropdown for Type from Full Version to Upgrade, price changes to $79.

I don't know if this URL will work for you but it's probably worth a try - https://commerce.adobe.com/anyware/checkout/?clientId=creative&countryCode=US&languageCode=en&marketSegment=COM&items[0][offerId]=0A5E0F7A7E9963C2C96ACDB90C734A3F&items[0][quantity]=1&returnUrl=undefined&promoid=5S7K88VB&mv=other&landscape=prod.

Awesome. I was trying late last night and must have already been asleep since all I found was Lightroom Classic. I will be upgrading today. Thanks Denise.

~~Barbara
  • ImYoshiImYoshi Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

Photoshop CS6 is a masterpiece though, keep it. But you will have trouble to open files from higher version, it's not compatible and have to be converted.

I did get Lightroom 6 and just recently when I went to edit a Lightroom 6 photo in Photoshop CS6 I got a message about an incorrect photo version and that I should update Adobe Photo Raw. I was also given the option to render the photo using Lightroom so that is what I did. This was a first, but then I don't go into CS6 very often. It is entirely possible that there are available updates for it that I don't have. However, I was able to finish those photos with the choice I made. I'm sure I will investigate some day...

Now that I have Lightroom 6 I will probably continue using that and Photoshop CS6 until I get a new computer with a version of Windows that is not supported. I expect that to take a while since both Adobe programs run under Windows 10 just fine (well, as well as anything runs under Windows 10). LR6 will recognize photos from my newly purchased Nikon D7200 so I should be good for a while.

~~Barbara
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

@bfluegie said:
    LR6 will recognize photos from my newly purchased Nikon D7200 so I should be good for a while.

You also always have a workaround available for new cameras of using the standalone DNG converter to convert raw to DNG, then LR6 will import tham. At least as long as Adobe is updating the converter free.

Adobe is doing some good stuff in LR 7 with performance that has been long anticipated.

• nisaardaninisaardani New member Posts: 12 Beginner grinner

incredible