Selection of Categories to Follow in "Recent Discussions" or "Discussions" in Top Menu

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins
edited April 9, 2018 in Dgrin Forum Support

Looks like they added a "follow" selection so only followed categories will appear in "Recent Discussions".
Click the little gear behind each category name on home page to select "Follow".
This selection then changes to "Unfollow".

Edit: Also on the "Recent Discussions" page it's important to check under "View:" below the "NEW DISCUSSIONS" button > "Following" vs "All".

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,890 moderator

Right. I know we're not supposed to double post, but it's just easier if I post the instructions I gave in another thread here:

The new scheme is opt-in rather than opt-out. Also new is a View dropdown box on both the Categories and Discussions pages. You can toggle between All and Following. Unfortunately, it looks like Vanilla was unable to carry over our old mute settings, so you have to set it all up from scratch. It's tedious, but it only took me about 10 minutes.

To start, go to the Categories page and set the view to All. Then, one by one, click on the gear icon and select Follow for those categories you want to appear on your Discussions page. Note that sub-categories must also be selected one by one. Once you have set all the categories you're interested in to Follow, go to the Discussions page and set the View to Following. It will now behave like it used to.

Note that the Category and Discussion views are independent of one another and that if you select the following view on the categories page, the headings and groupings are lost. I suppose if you are only following a few categories this is OK, but I suspect most people will want to leave the Category view set at All.

Also, note that there is one small improvement in this scheme: you can now follow a sub-category without following its parent, which was impossible with the old muting scheme. So if all you're really interested in is naked people, you can follow Go Figure without following People. :wink:

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins

Every category and sub-cat page has a Follow/Unfollow toggle behind its name at the top.

One of the nice changes is you can now toggle "Following or All" on the "Recent Discussions" page.

They need to display posts you've replied in to "Recent Discussions" even though the cat is not followed.