Dgrin Mini-Challenge #265 - Bokeh and soft backgrounds

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

There is a themed view ongoing to show bokeh and soft backgrounds. Looking through previous minis I didn't see this as a subject yet, so that will be it this time.
But to make it a little more challenging I would like to see the soft background as an essential part of the composition. This can be because a colour or shape gets repetited in the background, the soft shape(s) seen there frames the subject, the bokeh balls/rings/swirls complement the subject etc. etc. So I'm not just looking for any soft background but one that has a real function in the image.

This challenge will run until May 12, 19:00 pm Greenwich (UK) time

To get you thinking here's a few examples that would fit what I am looking for:

Yellow balls:

Cheers:

Leaning left, leaning right:

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to what you have to offer!

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 23, 2018

Great theme choice Pieter! Here are 3 of mine.

1 Gulls Galore

2 "Quack?"

3 "A Bear going for a stroll" (not sure if this one qualifies under your instructions Pieter. Although the foreground is repeated in the soft background)

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2018

Good challenge, Pieter, especially with the extra criteria. Here are my three:
    (I hope they are in line with what you were thinking of)

1) Tulips at the Hofgarten, Augsburg

2) At the flea market

3) Weeds...

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2018

I thought of one right away. Unfortunately I think I've used it here before.

1. Bokah Xmas

2. Breakfast (James Beard's French Toast)

3. Selfie in 1964 - Portugal

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Ooh....love this subject. Here are my three entries:

Sryinga (Idaho's state flower) with Palouse farm in the background.

japanese Maple after a rain storm

Deciduous bokeh

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2018

Great theme Pieter! Like that the additional soft background needs to have an impact, not just a typical shot. & lots of great shots already!!

1. Oh Snapper!

2. Fly Robin Fly!

3. Raccoons are much better at climbing trees than cats, score: Raccoons 3; Cat 1

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Thanks for the entries so far, all very worthy and in line with what I was looking for.

There's still lots of time for more members to take part!

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins

FLY. On A. Fly

Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2018

FLY on a flying. It is really an ant

Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited April 28, 2018

I see the last one, thanks!

Maybe the mods can delete the empty posts inbetween.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

@lkbart Awesome. So much drama in all three of your entries, I just love 'em :smile:

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Thanks @kurzvorzwoelf! It's that curiosity thing! :)

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

It's still open, would be good to get a few more entries.

Thanks to everybody who posted (or added to their initial post) so far.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 12, 2018

Great challenge, @Pegelli. I am hoping to post a few entries but not for judging. Our youngest son is getting married in a month, and we have added a puppy to our family! Busy times!

Coming back to add two photos (not for judging).

1) Crocus in Bloom

2) The Old Dogwood Tree

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

2+ yrs ago I shot / took pics at my older daughter's wedding ... since using a 500 f4 would've posed a few headaches, I used the opportunity to suggest to mrs pp that 'I needed a more suitable lens' :)

Curiousity
    This was one of the results during an early trial to get to grips with something wider than I normally use ...

Gull(s) and buoys ... and a photobombing swan.

Pair of tufties

Ay up me duckies .. since I'm unsure whether a foreground bokeh'd element counts for this, I've added it just in case.
    If it does count, ignore the previous tufties pic, and vice versa.

pp

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Neat Challenge. I think these qualify

1. bleeding hearts

2. camellia blossom (from my eye, the repetition is in the petals, but perhaps not what you are looking for?)

3. red-osier dogwood "Mid-winter fire"

• CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    1. Kids gonna drop some food soon :#

2. Grandmother <3

3. Oh Crap! :o

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.

This mini is now closed. Thanks for all the entries. Bear with me, I'll try to post the results tomorrow.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug