Do people really go offroad in fancy SUVs?

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited July 20, 2004 in The Big Picture
Some people do :nod :D

Two days in a row, even. Took my son to Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area (aka "offroad park") and got the new 2004 Toy 4Runner filthy. What a great truck!

Before:
5352096-M-1.jpg

During:
5934087-M.jpg

5972645-M.jpg

5972648-M.jpg

5972651-M.jpg

After:
5972653-M.jpg
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 10, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Some people do nod.gif:D

Two days in a row, even. Took my son to Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area (aka "offroad park") and got the new 2004 Toy 4Runner filthy. What a great truck!

Before:
    5352096-M-1.jpg

After:
    5972653-M.jpg
    Cool - Just think how much your son will have doing the same thing with your truck with his friends in a few years Laughing.gif

And yes, new SUVs go almost anywhere they can up Pike's Peak or up to the top of Princeton Mountain at 14, 197 feet - higher than Pike's Peak, and up Tin Cup Pass too.lickout.gif

5974426-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    Nice! But that's not a Pathfinder. ne_nau.gif

rolleyes1.gif

holy cow. i just washed it. :bash
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    Whoa! I never thought it was true... Fancy SUVs offroad?!

Hollister hills?! Man! I used to live--not more than 5 months ago-- right next to the damn place! Hollister was cool, but Im lovin' Napa now!

Hey, any of you Silicon-Valley cats looking for real-estate in Hollister? I have what might be considered the most perfect house in the country surrounding Hollister, and its for sale now... Not trying to spam the board or anything, but it has to move! Sorry if I pissed anyone off with that...
    PM me if you want more info...
    He who throws dirt, loses ground...
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 12, 2004
    fish wrote:

Before:
    5352096-M-1.jpg
    Nice space blanket in the windshield.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited July 12, 2004
    Whoa! I never thought it was true... Fancy SUVs offroad?!
    Kinda. I didn't see any Lexuses (Lexi?) down there. rolleyes1.gif
    Hollister hills?! Man! I used to live--not more than 5 months ago-- right next to the damn place! Hollister was cool, but Im lovin' Napa now!
    Hollister "cool"? When? It's usually hotter than blazes down there. Flat, hot, windy, dusty. Except in the hills, where it's obviously not flat.
    Hey, any of you Silicon-Valley cats looking for real-estate in Hollister? I have what might be considered the most perfect house in the country surrounding Hollister, and its for sale now... Not trying to spam the board or anything, but it has to move! Sorry if I pissed anyone off with that...
    PM me if you want more info...
    Nope, but if you have land for sale in the Motherlode, let me know.
    edited July 12, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Nice space blanket in the windshield.
    Thanks Doc. I figured for a truck that cost as much as it did, the least I could do was use an expensive fitted space blanket.

Holy cow. It's no longer brand spankin' new. :cry I've got a couple of custom pinstripes down the right side, courtesy of poison oak branches overhanging the tight trails. Two times through the car was still didn't get it clean. I had to clean all the nooks and crannies, including cladding joints, door sills, weatherstripping, insides of the door frames. That mud/dust got EVERYWHERE. I opened the hood and almost cried. My bright and shiny new engine compartment had a brown film all over it. I wiped off as much as I could with glass cleaner and wet barmops, but there's no way I can clean it all. I'd love to hit it with the pressure washer, but there are so many electrical connectors and boxes that I'm afraid I'll kill it. Any suggestions?

Here she is after my lame attempt at cursory cleaning under the hood:

6027778-L.jpg

brown spooge everywhere. :cry

oh well...it had to be done. I did the same thing to my 2000 BMW R1150GS the first week I owned it. ne_nau.gif

At least it looks pretty clean on the outside (except for the scratches on the mirrors and right side):

6027774-M.jpg

I still love her. What an amazing vehicle. Need some more robust tires, but the jury is still out on a lift kit. I'd love to have a few more inches of clearance, but I don't want to sacrifice road manners to get them.
  • DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Well fish, the place has got 5 acres... with a 3250 square foot house on it. Dont know if thats what your into, but Hollister Hills is less than ten minutes away from it (depends on how ya drive mwink.gif)! I know people that sell land around there, though, and if you really want to, I can probably get you in touch with the right people...

I meant "cool" as in a mildly entertaining place to live for my adolescent mind; Napa just happens to take the cake, and is cooler, however you slice it!

You can do a power wash on that engine with just a fair amount of work; itll take finesse, though. If you read in your manual, some manufacturers actually detail the process of washing out an engine bay. This process usually involves covering fuse boxes, air filter housings, and open-wired conectors with plastic that can take a blast from a power washer. The water isnt the issue; the pressure of the power washer breaking seals not designed for such stress, and further infiltrating the integrity of said object with corrosive H20, is. If you dont want to risk it, take it to your favorite detailer or dealer and tell them you want it done; transfer liability to a professional at the cost of only money as opposed a motor that dont start or bloody knuckles and knees!

The only decent lift to do on a vehicle that sees off-road duty is a suspension lift, and for what you want it to do, you want an adjustable shock setup. Raise the sucker up for the travel, soften it up when ya hit the trail for some extra extension and smoothness, and then back at HQ on the way out, tighten those suckers up for mad-fat road handling mwink.gif!!!
    Dont go all-out mud tires, though, as the rolling resistance will really make for higher gas consumption and fill up frequency. Not to mention the road noise! Take a look at the Pirelli P-Zero Scorpions; best of both on road and off road worlds, low noise, cheap (enough), good tread-wear, and grip!

Aye, Captain; full steam ahead!

PS. Check out www.tirerack.com for all your chassis needs! I just did a plus 2 upgrade on my VW Jetta (17 inch wheels with 225/45 WR17 Sumitomo HTR+ tires), and I got out the door for about 1200 with a full set of EBC Greenstuff Kevlar brake pads to boot! Theyre the best on the web, hands down! You might wanna look at getting some auxilary rims for different wheel/tire setups for different duties a beauty like that may need to perform!

Have fun!
    He who throws dirt, loses ground...
  • BylLuvaulBylLuvaul Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2004
    Sounds like you guys had fun . I love going mudding with my friends old blazer .