Up coming Alaska trip

Nick2000AUNick2000AU Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
Hi
Any advice where to go ? I'm keen photographer and I love landscape, I'm looking for something unique there any advice ?

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Really depends upon where in Alaska you'll be. The state is huge (equivalent of Canadian border down past Texas, into the Gulf of Mexico), so asking where to go shoot is like asking where to go photograph in the continental U.S.

• Nick2000AUNick2000AU Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins

We will mostly around Anchorage, Denali NP, Seward

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

When we were there, the best single day was spent on a boat out of Seward, touring Kenai Fjords National Park.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@Cornflake said:
    When we were there, the best single day was spent on a boat out of Seward, touring Kenai Fjords National Park.

I totally agree. If in Seward, one of the boat tours is money well spent, we went with Kenai Fjords Tours. Great knowledgeable crew and staff. In Seward, The Alaska Sea Life center was also worth a visit, with some history and art works also.

Not sure how you're traveling, but if you have the opportunity, I recommend using the Alaska Rail system to travel from Anchorage to Seward. Lots of wildlife sightings and history along the way. Very pleasurable way to travel.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@Cornflake said:

@roaddog52 said:

@Cornflake said:

I totally agree. If in Seward, one of the boat tours is money well spent, we went with Kenai Fjords Tours. Great knowledgeable crew and staff. In Seward, The Alaska Sea Life center was also worth a visit, with some history and art works also.

Phil and Don, can you elaborate on what you were able to see/do on that cruise?

As moderator, I've moved this thread to Locations as it's the best place for it. Thanks.

• HoratioHoratio Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    The person to contact is Jody Overstreet at www.jodyo.photos. She is a photographer based in Anchorage and knows all the best places to shoot. I guarantee that after you speak with her, you will have a list of places to go that will send you home with more photographs than you ever imagined. She is incredible and has helped me immensely.

See lots of beautiful country and photograph whales, puffins, sea lions, sea otters and glaciers.

Ordinarily I wouldn't post a photo in someone else's thread, but since you asked, here are a few I took on that boat trip.

We will be traveling by RV

That's not problematic tic for the boat trip. Everybody walks on. I hope you have a great trip.

Nice shots. We have booked Kenai Fjord boat tour.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@Cornflake said:
    Ordinarily I wouldn't post a photo in someone else's thread, but since you asked, here are a few I took on that boat trip.

That puffin picture is really cool, Don! I really like that first shot as well.

Thanks, Joel!

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 30, 2018

I just returned home from Petersburg Alaska Friday, after 12 days cruising Frederick Sound, Stephens Passage, Tracy and Endicot Arm, and the Dawes and Sawywers Glaciers.

Nick, where are you starting from in your RV? How long is your trip, and do you have a planned route yet? What time a year as well? Denali National Park is about 240 miles from Anchorage, and about slightly more than 4 hours to drive, but one can spend the better part of a day if your stop to look around along the way. East of Anchorage is Wrangell St Eliass National Park as well. also about 250 miles from Anchorage and about 5 hours driving time. Fantastic views of glaciers on the way to Wrangell St Elias. Don't skip the Alaskan Denali State Park either south of the Denali National Park

I've been to Alaska 6-8 times, both flying in and driving in from the lower 48, and that is not nearly enough to explore Alaska. It is huge!! And beautiful.

Folks are right that a boat tour of the adjacent inland water ways can give you some spectacular views, but so can driving down to Seward from Anchorage along Turnagain Arm - 221 miles to Homer, and about 4 1/2 hours if you don't stop to gawk, but you will. I always do too!

There are five sub-galleries devoted to traveling in Alaska at this link - https://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel - but none of them really are around Anchorage as I did Anchorage and Seward back in the pre-digital photography era. Many of my digital images are wildlife, but there are some landscape images as well, or images of both.

When you go to Denali National park, consider the 8 hour all day bus trip into the interior of the park, you can't drive all the way in in your own vehicle - Most folks who go to Denali never see the mountain due to fog and clouds - about 60% never see the mountain I have been told. I have some images of Denali and the bus trip in my gallery on my trip on the Alcan Highway that might be of interest.

I will try to answer some more questions as you think of them

I have some images from my most recent trip to Ak on my home page here - https://pathfinder.smugmug.com Just scroll down past the slide show and the images from Africa, Greenland, Svalbard, and Norway and Iceland.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Thanks for good advice. We will be there 9 days. Denali NP is on the list, as well as Valdez, Fairbanks and Seward. Because we will be beginning of June , far as we can go in Denali is Eliston view point. In Valdez we have booked boat tour Lulu Belle. Rest we have no plans yet.