Options

What display size you normally set

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited May 7, 2018 in SmugMug Support

Have a question on Display Size (under photo Protection)

This revised setting has been around for quite a while but its really the first time I explore it. I hv several questions:

1) What size do you guys normally set to? I know this is very much individual preference and also dependent very much your desired viewing size on your own computer which again vary in pixel size. Perhaps rather I should ask what limitation do you set so as to discourage others from a screen grab. I know the latter is rather a stupid question.
2) Am surprised setting of “iPhone 6+ (X5) would enable a full coverage of my 27” screen. I'd have thought the display size shld be the smallest amongst all. The display is even larger than iPad Retina (X4). Kind of does not make sense to me. Will there be display changes for the newer phone?
3) Don’t understand what is “All but original” as the display size is max out on my screen.

Tks

Comments

• Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins

I use the "LowRes 2Mpix (X3)" option for most of my galleries. I used to use an even smaller size as a deterrent to people screen grabbing, but it's a trade off and I want my images to preview slightly larger on the site opposed to social media. This option still fills the screen on my 1920x1200 monitor.

I don't understand what they mean by "All but Original either. I think it's poor wording on Smugmug's part. The options they give you are a little confusing, and don't make sense for photographers who are used to dealing in pixel dimensions. A better option would be if they listed it by telling you the actual dimensions they are allowing the images to be displayed at.

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator

As far as I know "all but Original" enables all sizes except the Original for display. I assume this covers the photographer if new display sizes are added so he or she doesn't need to go in and change the max display size again (assuming of course that photog wants to allow new sizes).

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins

I set mine to X2 - and I only upload 1200px (long edge) files
    My balancing act between size and viewing on desktop monitors against the quality of screenshots that I know people take every week.
    Around 80% of my visitors are on mobile phones so X2 is plenty big enough for the majority of visitors.

My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com