Iceland

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 16, 2017 in Journeys

I finally convinced my wife to go to Iceland. We went this past June. She needed convincing because I wanted to camp. She doesn't mind being outdoors but sleeping outside, in a tent, is not her cup of tea. We settled on a rooftop tent. Somehow she felt sleeping on the roof of a car acceptable. LOL

This was our home for the trip. Actually pretty comfortable. Thought it was going to blow over one night in pretty high winds but it held up just like we were told it would. It was a little cramped, especially living out of the car for so many days but we managed. Fortunately, Iceland has full facilities at their public pools and almost every town has one. So we hit the pool about every other day for some relaxation in the hot tub and showers.

We spent 9 days in Iceland. We traveled mostly along the Ring Road but we detoured from it at times. I took a very similar path that Daniel (Qarik) and his family took, except we hit the Fjords in northwest and we also visited the highlands.

Weather was not great. We had two days of relatively clear skies. Only one decent sunset. Although in June, the sun never really sets. It was overcast most days. It rained a little. Never a down poor. Just an annoying mist to drizzle at times. Made shooting a bit more challenging for me. Especially since I forgot all my ND filters. It would have been nice to have been able to drag my shutter to get some movement in the clouds and water. Fortunately, I did have my CPL filter so I was able to stop down the light a little bit. Whatcha gonna do.

I'm horrible at remember the names of places I visit and Iceland, with it's impossible name to spell and pronounce, wasn't any different. So unfortunately I won't be given you guys anything more than numbers for labels on the photos. ;-)

Well... enough typing and onto the photos.

"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

Some lovely photos here, as your Europe set, i found this one unique as well.

thanks

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Hill5Hill5 New member Posts: 6 Big grins
    Wow, the scenery of Iceland is really beautiful!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Now you've done it - you've made me want to go back to Iceland! Ah, returning there was on my bucket list as soon as I got home.

You have some beautiful photos here Alex. It's hard to pick favorites but as of right now I really like 5, 18, and 22.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Ditto to all responses. And those horses! Great job by the resident Inner Tube Pilot!

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins

@Awais Yaqub said:
    Some lovely photos here, as your Europe set, i found this one unique as well.

thanks

Thanks Awais. I absolutely love your work. Maybe one day we will meet, have a beer and do some photography together.

@Cavalier said:
    Ditto to all responses. And those horses! Great job by the resident Inner Tube Pilot!

The horses were my favorite part of Iceland. The shot of the mama and her baby is my favorite photo I took. I'm having it printed on metal pretty large to hang in my home.

@denisegoldberg said:
    Now you've done it - you've made me want to go back to Iceland! Ah, returning there was on my bucket list as soon as I got home.

You have some beautiful photos here Alex. It's hard to pick favorites but as of right now I really like 5, 18, and 22.

Denise... I could have spent another year in Iceland!!! I already want to go back.

@Hill5 said:
    Wow, the scenery of Iceland is really beautiful!

It truly is magical!

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins

Efffin gorgeous..I love the angle of the church in Vik! Show me your Svartifoss! I also see that you went to Utah haha..we are hitting the same places!

I do have to go back to hit the NW fjords and northern lights

D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Ggaaaaaaahhh.... How the heck did I miss this thread for so long? Absolutely gorgeous photos of an incredible land. I so want to get there someday and spend some real time cruising around. My mom visited Reykjavik many years ago and all I got was a Hard Rock Cafe Reykjavik sweatshirt she bought me.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins

@Qarik said:
    Efffin gorgeous..I love the angle of the church in Vik! Show me your Svartifoss! I also see that you went to Utah haha..we are hitting the same places!

I do have to go back to hit the NW fjords and northern lights

I'm stalking you!! We were planning another trip to Iceland in March to catch the northern lights but it looks like the trip is falling through.

I just got a Tacoma 4x4 last Tuesday so planning a lot more trips like the one to Utah. Hoping to go to DV later this month.

@David_S85 said:
    Ggaaaaaaahhh.... How the heck did I miss this thread for so long? Absolutely gorgeous photos of an incredible land. I so want to get there someday and spend some real time cruising around. My mom visited Reykjavik many years ago and all I got was a Hard Rock Cafe Reykjavik sweatshirt she bought me.

Dude. You must go. It's an amazing place.

My Smug Site
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Great series and trip! Some amazing pictures!

• legionxstudioslegionxstudios Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    Absolutely stunning work! I've been dying to go there, and I'm just trying to justify it to myself that I need to spend the money to go there this year!
  • cendrinemediacendrinemedia Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    Wow! Iceland has been on my radar for many years. I wish I could afford to go.

The photos are wonderful!

Cendrine Marrouat
    Nature, B&W and closeup photography: https://www.cendrinemedia.com

• PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins

Love the angle of the Kirkjufellfoss shot! (the last one)

David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins

Great set! Looks like a wonderful trip, you just moved Iceland further up my list!

• jcharmonjcharmon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins

Very nice photos!

On your next expedition, you may want to consider recording GPS tracks. There are a bunch of alternatives for this, from camera GPS attachments that directly record coordinates in your images, to smartphone apps that record GPX tracks, to stand-alone GPS units (you can even use a Garmin car GPS to record tracks!) to a GPS-enabled watch. There are a number of software solutions for embedding the location data in your images. Makes it much easier to know where you've been and photographed!