12 Hours of Sebring - 2018

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

I attended the 12 Hours of Sebring in March for the first time, completing the "36 Hours of Florida" after having attended the Rolex 24 at Daytona in January. While most of the cars are the same as at the Rolex, Sebring is a whole different animal. The track itself is sort of in the middle of nowhere - it's built on a portion of a WWII Army Air Forces training field, and the local airport takes up the other half of the airfield site. Daytona has a little more of a "button down" feel, while Sebring is a bit more easy going. There are plenty of great vantage points to shoot from, and unlike Daytona, most of the fences chest high, so you can shoot over them without using a stepladder. And of course, it's half the time as Daytona, wrapping up in the dark around 10:40pm.

1 - Prototype Challenge race competitor on Friday morning.

2 - He's quick, but tough to understand on the radio!

3 - Early morning fog for the pre-race warm up session.

4 - Had to check in with our friends on the HART race team.

5 - Cars pass under the bridge on the opening lap.

6 - Rolex 24 winning team

7 - Crossing over the bridge during Friday's practice session. Following the race weekend, this bridge was going to be torn down and replaced by a larger, multi-lane bridge.

8 - One of the Penske Acura Prototypes

9 - Corner workers signal to a slower car that a fast car is closing.

10 - Entering the Hairpin Turn at night gives plenty of opportunity to catch glowing brake rotors!

11 - HART Acura in the brake zone for the Hairpin.

12 - Racing into the setting sun.

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins

Love the diversity of images. So many different points of interest.
    Thanks for keeping the EXIF info with them - brakes at night are spectacular.

My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Great stuff, Moose. Laughed out loud at the #2 dog powered and #5 with the sheriff's squad on the bridge. Loved the panning shots the most.

and I'm just a little jealous :smiley:

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

I like 3 the best... early fog with lights ... that's a shot you don't get most of the time

Good work Moose

Rags
  • DyunDyun Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    Some very nice photos and panning shots. Cool place to shoot!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Terrific stuff, John. I haven't been to Sebring in quite some time. Unless they have made some changes, though, that track surface was rougher than a cob and would literally beat a car to death. Love the glowing rotor shots.

Take care.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.