Old Barns

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited May 15, 2018 in Other Cool Shots

This a new find. I came across it when I was deep, really deep, back in the " hollers " chasing down moonshining stories.

This one I named " RIP FRIEND ". It is only fitting that I name this shot since I had given the barn the name of Henry more years ago than I can remember. When I started shooting Henry, he wasn't a spring chicken. But he was stout and proud....giving the old boy who owned him everything that was demanded of himself. The harsh winters, particularly the severe ice storms, slowly wore old Henry down. It was sad to witness his decline, which I have documented over the years on our forum. I actually said goodbye to him about two years ago when the inevitable was clear. The shot here was taken after some old-barn-wood scavengers took what they wanted. I was proud when Henry's owner gave me a long-coveted piece of one of Henry's doors. That piece will play a major role in my mancave. I swear I used to could hear Henry talk to me as I passed through his domain.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great shots! Great documentary and sweet story! Bravo Tom!

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Certainly a cruel and untimely death, Tom, of a nice barn.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Good work. I like the way you manage to make the barn shots personal, maybe because I can relate to the barns. Might be nice to see a thread of Henry over the years. :+1:

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Great shots! Great documentary and sweet story! Bravo Tom!

Hey, buddy. Many thanks for the kind words. I hope you're doing well.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@willard3 said:
    Certainly a cruel and untimely death, Tom, of a nice barn.

The shame of it is, death to old barns like this is most often drawn out over quite an extended period.....often years as in Henry's case. I blame the humans. These old mountain boys will ride that horse until he drops. In this case, the horse is the barn. There's no dignity in their passing. Thanks for looking in, my friend.

@Richard said:
    Good work. I like the way you manage to make the barn shots personal, maybe because I can relate to the barns. Might be nice to see a thread of Henry over the years. :+1:

It's interesting that you say that, Richard. Over the extended period I've been involved in shooting old barns and other farm structures, I sometimes feel as if I have some sort of hyper connection to the stories they beg to tell. Also interesting is your comment about a Henry thread. I'll think about that....see what I've got.

For those of you who have an interest, the long-coveted gift from the owner of Henry that will be the cornerstone of my mancave is the top portion of the door that sports the window....and that which implores us all to eat healthy.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Great shots!

@Juano said:
    Great shots!

Thanks, Cristóbal. Keep up the good work you've been doing.