Options

DGrin Mini Challenge #266 80% + sky -- Results

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Well, I’m sorry about this, but I just managed to delete all of my comments re the entries during the upload process to DG 
I don’t have time at the moment to redo, so – to keep the ball rolling, I’ll just post the nitty gritty bits.
HMs to grandmaR #1, JAG #2, Chandlerja #3.
Third ikbart #3
Second pegelli #1
First StueveShots #2
There were quite a few invalid entries, btw because people hadn’t checked content relative to the 80/20% line … maybe thinking I wouldn’t notice / care … these entries weren’t commented on.
pp

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

Congratulations to Ikbart, Pegelli, and StueveShots. All well done. Looking forward to the next Mini.

Paul, I don't mind that you didn't redo your comments, but could have done without the snarky comment. :neutral:

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Thanks for the hm Paul and a well run Mini Challenge. Congrats to the runner ups and to @StueveShots .

• Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins

Well, my goodness! I didn't expect that! Thanks, Paul--much appreciated. And congratulations to all the other winners as well!

I will try to put up a new mini-challenge within the next day or so--it is a busy time at work, but I'll get it done! :)

• Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Great challenge pp! Congrats to StueveShots! and pegelli! And the hms! Lots of nice shots there!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options

@Cavalier said:

Paul, I don't mind that you didn't redo your comments, but could have done without the snarky comment. :neutral:

Well, certainly wasn't intended, and am unsure which bit of my post you're referring to?

Bottom line is that - by my reckoning - there are 6 pics by 4 people that don't meet the 80% + spec.
    I just think it's a bit of a shame that someone goes to the time and trouble of sorting out a pic to enter - but doesn't check that it fits in with any tech aspects of the gig?
    Why should I then spend my time and effort thinking about and commenting on an invalid entry if the entrant can't be bothered to check it?
    If anyone had been unsure of how to go about checking their pics, prior to upload - I'd have been more than happy to suggest a method / how I do it.

pp

• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2018

Thanks for 2nd place and a big hand to @StueveShots for first place and also to @lkbart and the HM's. Great challenge with many beautiful images (even though some didn't meet the 20% rule and had to be disqualified)

Paul, thanks for running this mini and if you have time I'd still be interested in your comments if there is a way to reproduce them.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2018

Pieter - no way to 'reproduce' exactly - but I'll see what I can do .. (I'd written them up off line - I usually start a day or so before the end of an MC - as the comments don't change) - but t'was my stupidity that lost this lot ...

Re yours - all 3 were well within the tech remit - I wouldn't have expected any different, tbh, and 'fitted the bill nicely - hence my decision not to bother with any examples - which wouldn't have been much good anyway.

1 I liked this as soon as I saw it - good subject, nicely shot / composed, some decent colours etc - and thought it was a fine contender. I then got the 'fine tooth comb' out and decided that It would have been (for this remit) a better fit with less foreground since the snow area is acting as an eye pull (EP) for me. Cropping just below the distant horizon would be one option, but imo, cropping just above is even better ... except it leaves the blob frame left to be ' dealt with' :)

2 Again, nice shot - but - for this - again it could have been cropped at the bottom - prob just below the reflection? The rest doesn't add anything imo. Whilst I didn't check the bright bit in the sky, I felt it would've been better to have had just a tad more detail - but it is what it is

3 As the other2, nice job - but again - for this - losing 2/3 of the water wouldn't have been detrimental to the shot - I also think the turbines (nice as they are) act as an EP away from the main subject in this case. I can see exactly why this scene would have been of interest, because one of the few landscape pics I've taken recently was of turbines at sunset - albeit with my 500 f4 :)

As always - just my opinion in this highly subjective lark - I also had similar thoughts about the winning shot re dark / light foreground transition and the dark blob lower R corner, btw.

pp

Edit
    Talking of cropping - but off the top, this time - with sarasphotos #3 cropping just below the lowest point of the two con trails (big EPs for me) would leave a very narrow 'letter box' pic - but a much nicer one imo - wouldn't have fitted the remit after this surgery, but that's irrelevant.

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

If anyone had been unsure of how to go about checking their pics, prior to upload - I'd have been more than happy to suggest a method / how I do it.

I had no idea how to tell except roughly by eye, but it didn't occur to me to ask for a method of doing it more precisely because I did not know that one existed.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options

@grandmaR said:

I had no idea how to tell except roughly by eye, but it didn't occur to me to ask for a method of doing it more precisely because I did not know that one existed.

There'll be various ways, depending on people's preferences, software being used etc. for me, using photoshop ...

Check pixel dimensions of image (canvas size), note frame height in pixels
    Work out what 20% is ... in pixels
    hover cursor over heighest point in image and compare this height (in pixels) with the 20% figure ... using the info palette.

pp

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

My point was - I did not know that there was a precise way of doing it. If you had one, and were going to require us to be precise, you should have said something about how to do it

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options

@grandmaR said:
    My point was - I did not know that there was a precise way of doing it. If you had one, and were going to require us to be precise, you should have said something about how to do it

Well, that's one way of looking at it ... but in the previous MCs I've been associated with, participants haven't been backward in coming forward with queries / comments about aspects of the challenge that required clarification - including yourself.
    Precision placement of the 80/20% threshold line - or rather, lack of it, was exactly the reason I added the '+' after 80% - to give people some leeway / add a 'fumble factor.

It won't happen again.

pp.