Options

Question about prints, print marks and watermarks

DyunDyun Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited May 30, 2018 in SmugMug Support

I created both a print mark and a watermark for my photos. When I go to the "Buy" option and select a print, it seems like the watermark is the one that appears, not the smaller print mark I created in settings. Is the print preview accurate, or will the actual print look different? Is it going to print with my watermark on it, or my print mark?

I have someone who'd like to buy prints, but I don't want people to be dissuaded by a larger watermark/signature in the corner. Cropping the image for smaller prints and cutting into the signature portion also doesn't seem right. Does the print mark get moved to its proper location even if the photo is cropped for certain print sizes?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited May 30, 2018

@Dyun said:
    Is it going to print with my watermark on it, or my print mark?

Assuming you used the watermark in SmugMug, the watermark is not applied to the Original image and it will not appear on your print. The print mark will show on the print.

Interesting though, I just looked at my site and the watermarks are not showing in the cart when I select a photo for purchase.

I went to your site and added a photo to the cart. I can see the watermark in the cart but the screen clearly says that the watermark doesn't appear on the final product.

From the help page Watermark photos:

No worries, watermarks won’t appear on prints ordered through SmugMug. And we don't watermark your originals since they’re what we use to create your gorgeous prints!

From the help page Using a printmark:

Different than watermarks, Printmarks will actually show up on the final printed product.

• Options

Thanks for your reply. I need to use my eyes more and -read-. :D So the last question I have is,.... will the print mark placement be adjusted according to the crop of the print? I'm assuming it will be. Would be nice if the actual print mark could be previewed exactly where it will appear on the print before purchase.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2018

@Dyun said:
    will the print mark placement be adjusted according to the crop of the print?

I'm not sure what you're asking. I assume that the print mark placement is based on the location specified in the definition, but I don't know how far from the edge it will appear.

I wonder if it might be worth ordering a couple of your photos with printmarks on them to see how they look.

If no one from SmugMug pops in with the answer here you could ask the help desk - https://help.smugmug.com/email-a-smugmug-support-hero-rkwelDyVrz.

• Options

Thanks again. I do know about the location option. What I'm not sure about is that if someone orders a print in a 1:1 ratio for example, if the print mark is still placed in the bottom right, or if it gets cut off in the cropped version of the print. Know what I mean? I'm assuming it gets placed about 1" from the edge regardless of whether someone chooses to crop the photo down, or at least I hope it does.

• Options

@Dyun said:
    What I'm not sure about is that if someone orders a print in a 1:1 ratio for example, if the print mark is still placed in the bottom right, or if it gets cut off in the cropped version of the print. Know what I mean? I'm assuming it gets placed about 1" from the edge regardless of whether someone chooses to crop the photo down, or at least I hope it does.

I assume the same, seems like it should be placed based on the actual print as opposed to the original aspect ratio.