West Maui Mountains by boat

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Aloha all,

Today I had the pleasure of deep sea fishing for about 6 hours. We started out before sunrise, back to the dock around noon, and this is what I came away with. Oh, and some fishies too, but they don't belong in this forum :)

The image you see is a 29 image pano merge, worked entirely in LR, shot via Canon 7D mk II + EF-S 18-135 kit lens. Enjoy!

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Gorgeous!

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet!

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Stunning capture. I love driving that road up to Lahaina. Leoda's Kitchen!

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Stunning Image! The island was greener than I have ever seen it. I love looking at those mt's as I travel that road to Lahaina. Leoda's Kitchen!

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
  • cendrinemediacendrinemedia Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins

Incredible shot! Maui is a gorgeous island.

Cendrine Marrouat
    Nature, B&W and closeup photography: https://www.cendrinemedia.com

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Beautiful! So is this the sunrise? Or sunset later that night? I'm guessing you didn't capture it from the boat.

Also, was this a multi-row pano? I'm trying to figure out how you expended 29 frames on this. Not that the results aren't worth it, mind you. :D

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@roaddog52 said:
    Stunning Image! The island was greener than I have ever seen it. I love looking at those mt's as I travel that road to Lahaina. Leoda's Kitchen!

Haha, you got that right...Leoda's!! Yes, this has been the most wintery winter that anyone can remember. Chatted with some old-timers and they tell me they haven't seen rain like we've had since back in the 1980's (when I was a lil' fella). I've been trying to capture the greenery all around as I'm working, but you know how that is...tricky biz mixing work with play.

@David_S85 said:
    Gorgeous!

Mahalo David!

@Stumblebum said:
    Sweet!

Appreciate that Taz!

@denisegoldberg said:
    Wonderful!

Mahalo Denise!

@cendrinemedia said:
    Incredible shot! Maui is a gorgeous island.

I'm glad you enjoy the view! We have a saying here: Maui No Ka Oi - which means 'Maui is the best'. According to Conde Nast Traveler, Maui has been voted #1 island in the world for more than 20yrs consecutively. (I wonder how much the Maui tourism board pays Conde Nast? lol)

@kdog said:
    Beautiful! So is this the sunrise? Or sunset later that night? I'm guessing you didn't capture it from the boat.

Also, was this a multi-row pano? I'm trying to figure out how you expended 29 frames on this. Not that the results aren't worth it, mind you. :D

kdog, thanks for viewing & commenting! This was sunrise time, with the sun rising to the right and behind these mountains (still popping up over Haleakala...the 10k ft volcano not shown in the scene). I definitely DID capture this from the boat, handheld, while under way. The photos were shot in rows & columns, which is why the 29 frames. Each individual frame was shot @ 53mm with focus locked so as to not shift during the capture.

Here's a single shot from the set...

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    kdog, thanks for viewing & commenting! This was sunrise time, with the sun rising to the right and behind these mountains (still popping up over Haleakala...the 10k ft volcano not shown in the scene). I definitely DID capture this from the boat, handheld, while under way. The photos were shot in rows & columns, which is why the 29 frames. Each individual frame was shot @ 53mm with focus locked so as to not shift during the capture.

Here's a single shot from the set...

We used to have a "bowing down" icon on the old board which would have been apropos here. However, in the absence of that, I'll just say, amazing job!

@kdog said:

We used to have a "bowing down" icon on the old board which would have been apropos here. However, in the absence of that, I'll just say, amazing job!

You're too kind, but I'll accept that compliment and thank you for it!

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I'm with kdog. Kudos!!

I've never tried shooting a multi row handheld pano from a moving boat - I have several multi frame single row panos from a moving boat, including one on the Thames, but multi -row is really impressive.

I watched a fellow shooting handheld panos almost like he was shooting in lower speed high frame rate continuous shooting as he swung the camera across. I had never seen one shot quite that fast before.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

@pathfinder said:
    I'm with kdog. Kudos!!

I've never tried shooting a multi row handheld pano from a moving boat - I have several multi frame single row panos from a moving boat, including one on the Thames, but multi -row is really impressive.

I watched a fellow shooting handheld panos almost like he was shooting in lower speed high frame rate continuous shooting as he swung the camera across. I had never seen one shot quite that fast before.

Mahalo! I've thought about the rapid-fire spray & pray approach to multi-row pano shooting, but it seems less calculated to me. My cameras have a LOT of shutter clicks from working, so I don't like to just let 'er rip without direct cause. Plus, I find that slowing down and making each shot deliberate also teaches me what works and what does not, as well as 'why'.

If you ever get a hankerin' to fly to Maui, hit me up and we can do a multi-row pano workshop together!

• HawthyHawthy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins

Beautiful image and great post-processing. Got married on Maui in October 2015 and the island was nowhere near that green then. Wish I had talked the bride into a sunset cruise - the photo opportunities...

Cheers,

Andrew
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I haven't made it to Maui yet so I didn't know the amount of green was unusual. But, what struck me is the subtle gradation of color in the sky and the gentle glow starting on the mountains. The light is definitely the star of this shot. It must have been something to see. I definitely need to get to Maui!

~~Barbara