Options

Henry's best friend

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited June 7, 2018 in Other Cool Shots

Henry, the recently departed barn that I considered to be a friend, apparently had a torrid affair with this old car. The owner of the car had a middle-aged son who ran this thing in some sort of dirt track racing up in the hills. Unfortunately, the son died of natural causes not long after getting in to the sport and the old man parked the car, in 1990, right where it sits today. On a few occasions, in the ensuing years, the old man would tell me that he was certain Henry would sneak the old car out on some middle-of-the-night escapades, reliving days gone by. In his later years, the old man started having some issues, and he recounted this story with such conviction that you almost wanted to hide around the bend late one night and catch the action. Man, you just gotta love some of these old mountain tales.

Scrutinize, if you will, some of the avant-garde racing technology evident in this beast.....particularly at the front end.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator

It sounds loud, even today.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

Good to hear from you, David. I can attest to the fact that this thing was truly louder than hell. I was at the old man's spread buying some firewood ( that's how they made their money ) and the son had just pulled in from racing and was taking the car off of the trailer. Even with earplugs, I can't imagine racing this car....it was really deafening.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great catch. The color combo of the car and pasture makes it stand out. I bet that thing was a kick in the pants to drive. Out here in the sticks, we have a saying "street is neat, but beater is neater" >:)

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options

Hi, Phil. I've never heard that saying you quoted but I can tell you that my observations of what runs around those mountains lends credence to it.

Tom

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Oh my Tom.....you must have your knees buckled......to find a RUSTY SPORT CAR.....haha! Well done!

• Options
    edited June 11, 2018

@Stumblebum said:
    Oh my Tom.....you must have your knees buckled......to find a RUSTY SPORT CAR.....haha! Well done!

What's the saying, Taz…" into every life a little rain must fall " ...or something of that nature? The shock of seeing this car, as it is, faded years ago. In fact, I'm somewhat amazed that the appearance of the car itself has changed very, very little over time. The most noticeable difference is that the car and trailer seem to keep sinking deeper into the ground as the years roll on.

See you, buddy.

• Options
    SilSil Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins

Urbex Car...very nice !!!