Options

Statcounter has stopped reporting hits even though I have correct code installed.

KarlAttyKarlAtty Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
For a few days now, Statcounter has stopped recording hits to my pages. I have 2 Smugmug accounts for different uses and both have Google Analytics installed.
Has there been a change?
Can I fix it?
Thx

Comments

• Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins

Due to new European regulations, we are temporarily suspending the use of third-party cookies on SmugMug which will disable functionality for some plug-ins, until further notice. This is the reason that Statcounter is not working for you at the moment.

Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator

Will that affect Google Analytics as well?

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2018

I have a bunch of Statcounter hits all the way up to 2 minutes ago? 1207 page views yesterday a lone.

Is this something that only affects Europeans?

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    KarlAttyKarlAtty Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    > @Teach said:
    > Due to new European regulations, we are temporarily suspending the use of third-party cookies on SmugMug which will disable functionality for some plug-ins, until further notice. This is the reason that Statcounter is not working for you at the moment.

Thank you for the explanation Heather.
    Since I use my Statcounter information daily, this is most inconvenient.
    It would also seem to be a disproportional reaction to the new legislation, and unecessary.
    I do hope you will allow 3rd party cookies soon.

An email explanation from Smugmug beforehand might have been expedient, to save customers wasting time spending ages re-installing/checking, and re-installing code.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

@KarlAtty said:
    It would also seem to be a disproportional reaction to the new legislation, and unecessary.

I do hope you will allow 3rd party cookies soon.

The new GDPR regulations are put in place to specifically prevent some of the items that 3rd party cookies and trackers like Statcounter do. Our reaction, until the legislature is further defined and understood, is a proper reaction based on our understanding.

@KarlAtty said:
    An email explanation from Smugmug beforehand might have been expedient, to save customers wasting time spending ages re-installing/checking, and re-installing code.

We're working on improving the EU Cookie banner, which would re-enable Statcounter and GA. We had planned to have launched this already so that an email wouldn't have been needed, but we certainly could do better at communicating if there's impacts.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    sdbsdb Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2018

@Richard said:
    Will that affect Google Analytics as well?

I don't use Statcounter, but GA works as always (in Italy), after following google instructions to give the GDPR consent.
    That said, I don't know if the shown data on GA are real or currently disturbed. I haven't seen any difference with before the GDPR.

• Options
    MilothecatMilothecat Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Hi. I have had the same difficulties and the similar responses. I have been disappointed with their responses, not very helpful or forthcoming with help to find alternative ways to get the information that I was getting using StatCounter. Has anyone managed to find an alternative?
    Thanks