Dgrin Mini-Challenge #268 - Airplane views

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited July 3, 2018 in The Dgrin Challenges

Having just gotten off an airplane, I'd like to see photos taken from an airplane, or if you don't fly, then photos of airplanes either flying or on the ground, but I am not looking for air show type photos, those were the subject of another mini. Please mention approximate location of the shot either in the title or an explanation. Any post processing is fine (see examples). I plan to judge this by finding something special in each of the entries - intrigue me!

This mini starts now and will close Sunday night/Monday morning at 12:00 midnight, July 2, 2018 CST

Some examples of what I have:
Coming into San Francisco

Eastern California

Flying home (somewhere between Florida & Kansas)

Sun set southeast US

Sky over Wichita (plane is teeny tiny, but obviously there)

Dance company lifting a plane (lol)

Another view of coming into San Francisco, edited with some filters (PS & Topaz), then duplicated, booked, flipped & then duplicated and rotated (I think)

Original shot:

Same shot with different filters:

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

This should be an interesting challenge! I have a few older pics, as I have retired as a Travel agent. I only have a few because I usually sit on the isle seat.

1 This is somewhere over Washington State coming from Boise, Idaho. I liked the hole in the clouds to the right.

2 These are Idaho Crop circles

3 This was taken with my cell phone in the wee early morning. Somewhere over Iceland. If I find my Mt. St Helen pics I took on a trip when we were flying over them, I will swap this one out as the quality isn't all that good with this image.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

This is a really interesting challenge. Like Joyce, I had to dig into the archives a bit. Three to add to the set

1. Challenges of a baggage handler (this is at bush landing, on our way to Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park in the Rocky Mountains)

1. Goodbye Snow! Leaving Calgary heading for Cuba

1. Leaving Spring Island (British Columbia Coast. Kyuquot in the background). Also in my all time favourite aircraft - a de Havilland Beaver

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2018

I will use this as placeholders for now. I am sure I have something higher quality if I take time to look. I don't travel a lot, but I usually take at least one pic from the airplane whenever I do. :)

1. This one was while we were on vacation in Washington DC. We were staying with my husband's brother's family, whose house was right on the Washington Channel. We could see the planes coming in to land at the Reagan National airport. I was outside really just admiring the sunset. Most of my pictures include the Washington Monument in the background, but all the ones with planes didn't show it. :(

2. This one is the view from my seat as I was helping chaperone a bunch of awesome band kids on a trip to Orlando.

3. This one is from a recent flight. We're coming in to land at Austin-Bergstrom. The round building is now a Hilton hotel, but it used to be base headquarters when the airport was Bergstrom AFB.

I know I have others that are a bit better, so now off to hunt them down....

Sherry

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2018

Interesting challenge - I have tons of pictures of airplanes, but not as many from airplanes...

1 - Uptown Charlotte, NC as seen from a JetBlue E-190 heading to New York:

2 - West German Luftwaffe Tornado fighter/bomber as seen out the back of our KC-135, April 1987, refueling over the "buffer zone", the 10 mile area along the border with East Germany.

3 - Ready for contact! From the cockpit of a KC-135 as we prepare to close in to take fuel from another KC-135, August 1985. We were flying out of Grissom AFB, about an hour north of Indianapolis. At the time, my unit had the only KC-135 tankers that were also capable of receiving fuel in flight.

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

What great entries already! Thanks Joyce, Dave, Sherry & Moose! Exactly what I'm looking for!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2018

I have so many of this kind of photo that it is hard to narrow it down to just 3. So I'm going to cheat a little.

1. Strip mining outside of Pittsburgh

This is a digitized slide taken in 1955 on the first airplane flight I ever took. Strip mining is a kind of surface mining which in those days was not subject to much regulation and would leave rock waste on the land which would make it unuseable for anything.

2. Thames in England

(coming in to Heathrow in 2016)

3. Whifferdills in Miami

A wifferdill is an aerobatic manoeuvre in which an aircraft makes a series of very tight turns in order to reverse its direction of travel. The power boats below are doing something similar. Miami Beach is on the left

I also have a story to tell about this one which is not such a good photo - taken in 1965 at the Antique Airplane Fly-In in Watsonville California

In 1962 when we were living in Norfolk, VA my mother-in-law gave my husband the 1932 Plymouth which my father-in-law had gotten in trade from a Buick dealer for which he paid $16 and traded in a rowboat that had washed ashore in the last hurricane. My husband Bob restored it and when he was transferred to the PG school in Monterey California we drove it across country to California. We joined the local antique car club. The second Antique Airplane Fly-In was being held in Watsonville in 1965 and the antique car club went to the field to provide local transportation for the pilots. I was writing an article for the Antique Auto Club magazine, and needed a good photo for the article. I tried climbing partway up the tower but the window faced the wrong direction. So I started asking around to see if someone would take me up in a plane so I could get a photo. One of the guys said he would. He gave me a leather helmet and sat me in the front seat - told me to keep my hands and feet away from the controls and we took off in a 1929 Waco. We circled the field, he asked me if I had the photo. I said yes. We landed. Found out that he had just bought the plane and had never flown it before. But I did get a photo.

Which the Watsonville airport has asked to use on their website. https://www.cityofwatsonville.org/365/Military-to-Municipal

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Thanks for the entries grandmaR - although I wish your favorite was an entry, that shot has so much cool stuff going on, and for an airliner window shot, seems like it's quite clear too. Maybe consider a switch? Great story on the last photo!

~Lillian~
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

OK - I'll switch

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2018

Although I traveled a lot on business during the last 6-8 years, I usually prefer aisle seats so no photos. These are about it, and I had to dig into photos from a helicopter for the third. Please exclude if it's not what you were looking for, @lkbart.

1. Southeast shore of Greenland, twilight

2. Glaciers of Greenland (a little farther inland than the previous photo, although in the same general location)

3. Hanalei Bay, Kauai

I decided to change the third photo because while I like the waterfall picture and it really was taken from the air it didn't really convey the airborne nature very well. So, Hanalei Bay from the air instead. This was near the end of the helicopter tour.

~~Barbara
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited June 30, 2018

I had fun looking through my (cell phone) collection of photos taken from an airplane but still had to go back and identify where they were taken.

1) My view during a flight from Denver to Los Angeles

2) View of the Rocky Mountains en route from Seattle to Philadelphia

3) "Waves" of Clouds (taken during the same flight from Seattle to Philadelphia

This last photo from our trip home from Seattle is not an entry. I had ample opportunity to get photos from the plane as the airport scrambled to de-ice the planes after unexpected winter weather.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Departing Brussels

A flock of ships

The alps

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

More great entries - thanks Barbara, Gretchen & Pieter!

Only one more day to go on this mini!

~Lillian~
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Finally had the time to dig out a couple.

1) Infinity (the California coast - coming in for a landing in SFO)

2) Waiting (at Schiphol Airport)

3) Crossing the border (Bodensee/Lake Constance is the border between Germany, Austria and Switzerland. We're looking down over Friedrichshafen, Germany)

Great last entry Sara! And this mini is closed! I will have the winners posted tonight. Thanks for entering!

~Lillian~
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins

It should be 268 not 267 have a look

Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/

Thanks for the catch @jwear ~ just corrected it. Been a crazy few weeks. Results will be posted shortly. :)

~Lillian~