Scarborough's South Bay

FiestaRedFiestaRed Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins

The sun slowly setting over Scarborough's South Bay, Yorkshire coast, UK. The large building on the left is The Grand Hotel and on the right are the ruins of Scarborough Castle.

Comments

• sallybsallyb Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins

Very nice. Brings back a lot of memories

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Try taking 2.5 - 3.0 inches from up top off. Tight pano comp.....you might like it. Just keep 2.-5 inches of blue sky from bottom....
    As is there are some large dust specs in the sky.

• FiestaRedFiestaRed Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Try taking 2.5 - 3.0 inches from up top off. Tight pano comp.....you might like it. Just keep 2.-5 inches of blue sky from bottom....
    As is there are some large dust specs in the sky.

Thanks for the help Stumble. I'm ashamed to say I missed the dust spots, something I always tell others about.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Lovely composition and a fine looking image. However, I think you could have done better on the exposure because your red channel is blown out with pixel values of 255 almost clear across the sky. So you lost redness of the sky, how much is anyone's guess. This could have occurred in processing; checking the pixel values of the sky in the original image would tell the tale.

Blowing just one color channel is sooo easy to do too. Most cameras default to showing a luminescence histogram, but also allow you to select a RBG histogram instead which is definitely what you want to use. The luminescence histogram shows an average of the three channels and you may have pegged one channel and never know it. That's why you use the RBG histogram and check every channel. If you adjust to not blow any channels and your composition is too dark, then you'll likely want to bracket the exposure with multiple shots and combine using layers in your favorite image editor, or use HDR software, or a combination of the two.

Or just ignore my babbling and be proud of your beautiful image just the way it is. :smile:

• FiestaRedFiestaRed Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins

Thanks for all the kind words, help and advice. Really appreciated.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Looks great, such a fine image! I agree with Taz, crop the sky a little to create more of a pano feel, and fix that slightly tilted horizon (check the water on the right hand side), and boom...wall hanger.