A few photos - Frank Gehry, Bruges Belgium and Paris France.

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited June 20, 2018 in Landscapes

Comments and feedback appreciated!

Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles - Another classic design by Frank Gehry.

A 500 to 1000 year old house on the main canal in Bruges, Belgium

Schooners moored at Pont Neuf Paris.

Thanks much, John

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Good stuff! #1 is fab! The excessive bokeh in #2 maybe too much.....bit distracting on right side.
    In all 3 shots I feel the bottom is bit cramped from COMP point of view.
    Cheers!

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Good stuff! #1 is fab! The excessive bokeh in #2 maybe too much.....bit distracting on right side.
    In all 3 shots I feel the bottom is bit cramped from COMP point of view.
    Cheers!

I agree with everything you said @Stumblebum :) FYI, I can kind of blame the bottom crop matters on #1, traffic, #2, only spot to shoot from, and #3 massive trash truck parked below schooner... But the end result is too-close-a-crop - What's your favorite wide angle lens (if you're a Canon user). The bokeh is on me. One time I look at it and like it, the next time, not at all.. Thanks much for your notes and feedback, they're very much appreciated and correct!

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Again, #1 is great despite any minor issues.....
    Canon 16-35 version III is probably best.....they have a 11mm too that is expensive....I haven't used it but for me there are RARELY situations where 11mm is needed and if those situations do occur, then one can always do a pano.....
    Keep clicking!
    Cheers!

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2018

@Stumblebum said:
    Canon 16-35 version III is probably best.....they have a 11mm too that is expensive....I haven't used it but for me there are RARELY situations where 11mm is needed and if those situations do occur, then one can always do a pano.....
    Keep clicking!
    Cheers!

I appreciate your feedback @Stumblebum - I've been planning to give panos a go but I've been too lazy and/or don't know where to look to get started... If you know of a great site on panos for newbs, I wouldn't mind a link. Or I could just get off my lazy butt, so to speak, and give that Google machine a go ;)

Thanks again for your help! John

I learned panos from my friend and board moderator here.....K-dog. It was more scary before I started doing them.

1) make sure your tripod is straight wrt horizon (most important thing)
    2) visualize a rectangle that would eventually be your pano
    3) 90% of the time portrait shots work best for panos (not landscape)
    4) The triangle you visualized in step 2, add 15% on top and 15% on bottom (basically grab 30% more than what you have visualized). The way panos work eventually you may need even more than that.....
    5) Then start going from left to right and make sure there is at least 30% overlap between shots
    6) The light WILL change from left to right so make sure each shot is optimally exposed
    7) If shooting contrasty regions then for each shot above, grab very bright and very dark exposure along with one normal exposure so each can be properly processed and there is not blown out or dark areas. Basically HDR either manually or automatically through Light Room.
    8) If light is changing and good light is only there for little bit, then just have to be quick in executing the shots
    9) Process each individual shot and then choose the final images and then click on "merge to pano" in LR
    10) If the image doesn't stitch or it distorts it then have to go to Photoshop to fix it
    11) Crop out the problem areas and keep the best part (this is where grabbing extra area come in very handy)
    12) Don't get addicted to them......

Cheers!

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Hey John ... love your Disney...

A week and half ago I was in Bilboa and saw the Guggenheim; I'm a Gehry fan

The two block fronts in LA with the Disney and the Broad is pretty impressive

Rags
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

This is a terrific series. Sorry I didn't comment previously.