Re-processed shot +1 BW

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
edited June 29, 2018 in Other Cool Shots

I shot this several years ago and processed it in black and white, with the software and knowledge I had then. I found the original pic and re-processed it in the original color version which I found more appealing. I also redid a BW but I'm partial to the color version.

Original

New

Comments

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I like it very much. It works both ways. With the black and white version, I look at the staircase. With the color version, other things compete with the staircase for attention--but the colors are cool.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 28, 2018

I like this a lot. I prefer the color version.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

And here is a re-processed black and white.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2018

Love love love #2 and #3! Bravo Cristobal!
    For b&w (#3) you may want to calm down or clone out the bright spots at top dark area and especially from dark bar at the bottom.....bit distracting....
    Just talking about the ones that are shiny and sticking out....not all the white splotches...

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Oddly, I prefer the original BW to the revised one. I usually like high contrast, but in the revision there's so much texture in the wall that it overpowers the rest. Too much of a good thing isn't good. But I still prefer color for this one--the yellow and green tones balance the wall texture and the stairs stand out more.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

I also notice a change in the perspective - which is imho the most interesting change to the picture. How did you archieve it?

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Thanks all, I am still favoring the color version, I will try a softer processing for the BW. I did remove some of the distortion of the original using the vertical transformation in LR.

edited June 29, 2018

Here is a softer BW, I agree with Richard, the processing of the previous one was too harsh.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

I have come back to this image several times. I keep hoping to find a reason for the B&W processing, but it doesn't exist.

The color version is vastly preferable because the stairs themselves, which I believe are the principal subject, are mostly B&W, with the exception of the upper landing. Making the entire scene B&W just reduces the impact and strength of the stairs, reducing the strength of the overall scene.

Embrace the color!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 1, 2018

@ziggy53 said:
    Embrace the color!

What he said. The latest rework is better but color still wins.

Ok I'll embrace the color! (but kind of like the second BW version too...!)