Daughter has no red eye. Why?

DanreynoldsDanreynolds Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
I’ve noticed over the years that my daughter does not show red eye with flash photography. It’s freaky, everyone around her will look like a demon but her eyes are red free. I can’t find any explanation on the internet for it and it doesn’t matter what device is used to take the pic. Can anyone explain this?

I’m new to the forum so I can’t post pics or links for examples.

Thanks.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 26, 2018

@Danreynolds said:
    I’m new to the forum so I can’t post pics or links for examples.

You should be able to post links as plain text, without the http. If necessary you can post the link with spaces between the sections of the link instead of .'s, we can fill in the blanks. Just specify that that the words together will form the URL.

To turn on the ability to post photos you will need to post in the forum a number of times. After being a member for a bit and after posting to other threads you will have the ability to post photos.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Does she generally look away from the camera/lens/flash?
    Is she a contact lens wearer?
    Height might also be a factor. Is she exceptionally short or tall?

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DanreynoldsDanreynolds Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    Answers......

Does she generally look away from the camera/lens/flash? No, she is looking directly at the camera just like those around her.
    Is she a contact lens wearer? No.
    Height might also be a factor. Is she exceptionally short or tall? No, slightly above average but the effect is the same whether she is sitting, standing, or posing with friends in the pool with their heads perfectly in line. Check out first photo in “gotothereynolds.com”, May 2018, last weekend of 7th grade, first photo.
    Thanks Denise

Example photo: h t t p s://www.gotothereynolds.com/May-2018/Last-Weekend-of-7th-Grade/i-pPb6wm9/A
    Take out the spaces in https
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

@Danreynolds said:
    Answers......

Does she generally look away from the camera/lens/flash? No, she is looking directly at the camera just like those around her.

Is she a contact lens wearer? No.

Height might also be a factor. Is she exceptionally short or tall? No, slightly above average but the effect is the same whether she is sitting, standing, or posing with friends in the pool with their heads perfectly in line. Check out first photo in “gotothereynolds.com”, May 2018, last weekend of 7th grade, first photo.

I agree that her pupillary light reflex, as evidenced by this image, is potentially atypical.
    I strongly suggest that she be seen by at least an opthamologist. Just precautionary, no need for alarm.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    Yeah, that’s probably a good idea. Thanks
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I also noticed that her eyes do not reflect external light even when others may not have red eye, but still reflect light. It could be that her pupils are more constricted than the others, but I agree with Ziggy that a visit to the ophthalmologist might be a good idea. Whatever the cause, you have a beautiful, photogenic daughter (and her friends).

Thanks Jo. I have often thought it could be an advantage if she was a model, lol, but I guess all good photographers know how to avoid bad flash photography to begin with.

By the way, love your Mantis photo. Beautiful. I got lucky with a similar situation: h ttps://www.instagram.com/p/qDSzA2oclD/?taken-by=johndanielreynolds. Take out space between h and t.