No sneaking around town

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited July 3, 2018 in Other Cool Shots

1935 Duesenberg SJN

From around 1913 to 1937, the Duesenberg brothers produced some of the finest automobiles ever. If you had the bucks, these cars were IT. When you bought a Duesenberg, you got the frame, engine, and drivetrain. While the company did offer their cars with completed bodies designed and built by a closely associated operation, many buyers elected to have custom designers and fabricators finish off their car. It was common to have these completed cars exceed $25,000 to $30,000 …..around $500,000 in today's money. Clark Gable was one of the owners who swore by their cars. A picture I took of Clark's magnificent ride ( not the car shown here ) was published in a book about his life.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Wow... a jewel...

Rags
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@torags said:
    Wow... a jewel...

…...and ain't dat the truth.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

A beauty!

Yeah, Taz, a beauty for sure. Actually, a pure white car was pretty uncommon in those days.....particularly in the rarified world of the Duesenberg and a few other expensive brands. Owners in those cases often went for garish colors, often in two-tone combinations.

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

This is a beauty. I was at the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg museum earlier this year and I don't remember seeing a single white car. A couple of cream colored cars but no white. I agree that there were a lot of bright colors. My least favorite were a couple that reminded me of a ketchup and mustard combination.

~~Barbara
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Gorgeous car. Personally, I don't much care for the garish colored ones--guess I won't buy one. :wink:

edited July 4, 2018

@bfluegie said:
    This is a beauty. I was at the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg museum earlier this year and I don't remember seeing a single white car. A couple of cream colored cars but no white. I agree that there were a lot of bright colors. My least favorite were a couple that reminded me of a ketchup and mustard combination.

Thanks for the visit, Barbara. I'm with you about that " ketchup and mustard combination ". I, too, have seen a couple like that....not my cup of tea. One of our other forum members gets pretty involved with the big ACD gathering every year. I keep thinking that I'll get up there one day for that event.....just hasn't happened. These days, I've really trimmed back on my car show activities. I'll hit the Pebble Beach affair every other year, the old Meadowbrook show in the years I don't hit Pebble Beach and I wouldn't miss the Amelia Island show even if you paid me.

Take care,

Tom

@Richard said:
    Gorgeous car. Personally, I don't much care for the garish colored ones--guess I won't buy one. :wink:

Awe, come on, Richard. Come off the hip and go get yourself one of these restored masterpieces. Just be sure to bring something north of a million bucks.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Very cool and it's white.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

@willard3 said:
    Very cool and it's white.

Thanks for looking in, fellow. Yup....ultra white. You could probably spot this thing from the International Space Station.