Left there

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

I'm unsure whether this qualifies as Street. I spotted this abandonded shopping cart in a subway station here in Stuttgart after coming from a street photography jam with two friends, which unfortunately yielded less usable photos than I was wishing for. However, I like this one, I wish I could have included more context.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 13, 2018

Yep. There's nothing unusual in this image--it could be in a supermarket. But put a shopping cart in the subway and it's a whole different story. Don't know whether you ever saw Wim Wenders' film Der Stand der Dinge (The State of Things), but there was a striking image of a shopping cart at the end of an airport runway that has haunted me for decades. Next time try to work the scene more.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

I don't know that movie, no. And actually - judging from the trailer I have just seen - probably will (can) not ever watch it :-)

But yeah, you are right -- for a street scene, this photo does not provide any context or unusuality. I could have shot it from a different position, and angle. The cart was actually left shortly after the end of a gangway leading to the platform. Thinking back, if I would have positioned myself somewhere up that gangway, yes. I guess I have shot this one for the lighting and the pattern differences in wall and cart. But yeah, no Street. Well, next time!

Thanks for the honest feedback, very much appreciated!

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

While I agree with Richard on the street worthiness of this picture, I think that the treatment of it is very well done. I would darken the right side to match the rest of the image, but the processing of the shopping cart is outstanding.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

@Juano said:
    While I agree with Richard on the street worthiness of this picture, I think that the treatment of it is very well done. I would darken the right side to match the rest of the image, but the processing of the shopping cart is outstanding.

Thanks for your feedback Cristobal. However, I'm a little confused. What exactly do you mean by darken the right side? Because for me, the right side of the picture is already darker than the rest (light source was on the left) :-)