Folder Security Question

ScottMScottM Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
Hello,

Is there a way to block a folder from public view while keeping the galleries public? As it is now, if I send my customers a link to their gallery, all they have to do is go one step up in the URL and they can browse everyone else's gallery. To get around this I've set up passwords but its causing a lot of support calls. I tried setting the folder to private but it inherently makes all the galleries private as well. My ideal solution would be that I could send the customer a non password protected link to their gallery, but not allow them to view other galleries in the same folder as theirs.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

There is an option to share galleries privately without password-protecting the galleries.

See the help page Share photos privately with only people I choose.

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

It sounds like what you want to do is set your Folder to be "Unlisted", so it won't show up to your visitors, and then set all the galleries to be "Public".

Alternatively, it sounds like you can just set all the galleries to be unlisted, and when people go to the folder, they don't see anything. They'll need the URL to their specific gallery to see those photos. When you, the owner, browse the folder, you'll see all the galleries though.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@leftquark said:
    It sounds like what you want to do is set your Folder to be "Unlisted", so it won't show up to your visitors, and then set all the galleries to be "Public".

While this could work, if the visitor decides to "back up" via the URL, wouldn't they then see all of the public galleries in the unlisted folder? If there is no breadcrumb I suppose this is less likely, but a curious visitor may decide to edit the URL.

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

Yea, I think as I typed, I realized more of what Scott was looking for. I believe setting all the galleries to Unlisted should do the trick.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • ScottMScottM Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Hello,

Thank you for the responses!

To give a little more detail:
    My customer purchases the photo and I generate a random code on their receipt.
    My software automatically creates a gallery on my site with that same random code
    The guest goes to my website and enters the code which searches for their gallery

Unfortunately when I set the galleries to "Unlisted" I am no longer able to search for the album. I could build out a custom URL with my software on my website, but when the Gallery is unlisted it creates a random set of digits after the album name in the URL. I don't believe I have a way of guessing what those random digits will be. Do you know if there is any way to automate getting the URL for an Unlisted Gallery?
  • rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins

Unlisted galleries won't be searchable on SmugMug, which is done by design to protect their privacy. Also, Unlisted galleries do have additional characters appended to the end of the URL, which also protects their privacy by making the URLs "unguessable".

Getting a URL for an unlisted (or any type of) gallery can be done in an automated fashion if you use the SmugMug API. Otherwise, you can get a gallery link from the Share icon in the gallery, or by copying the URL from the address bar in your browser when inside the gallery.

Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero