Dgrin Mini-Challenge #269 -The Final Stop - Cemetery Photography-

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
edited July 4, 2018 in The Dgrin Challenges

When I won the last challenge, I thought I did not have any other options of things that I take a lot of photos of to use as a subject for a mini. I've done Lighthouses. I've done Windows. I've done Then and Now. What else is there? I thought briefly about redoing Silhouettes - a topic from some time ago and making more specific (no detail in the silhouetted item) and harder (no sunsets). Then it occurred to me that I do a lot of a kind of photography that I haven't mentioned before - Cemetery documentation Now that I am more restricted in movement, Bob helps me, but we go to a cemetery for an hour and take 400-500 photos of individual gravestones and put the images on the internet in a database called Find-A-Grave. This is a genealogical resource for people who are researching their families. When we travel, we visit cemeteries along the way. I've gone to cemeteries in Alkmaar, and St. Barts. (I don't always go to cemeteries- I went to Tanzania last month and did not visit any cemeteries).

The object of this kind of photography is to have clear readable pictures - it is not 'Art" photography so most of my photos of this type are pretty pedestrian.

Which is why I want to see what you all can come up with.

I quickly picked a couple of examples -two 'gate shots' (which should ideally show the gate and the sign with the cemetery name

Gate shot -Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery in Virginia

Gate shot -Small cemetery in Costa Rica

I think I've used this on in a mini - it is in England

And this one is in San Juan Puerto Rico

Some different types of grave markers

Memorial in Beit Haim Berg Altena Willemstad, Curaçao

Memorial in Bonaire for a parrot (language is Papiamentu)

Individual family enclosure in Plymouth NC

Memorial in Grote Kirk Alkmaar

Memorial showing the new color graphics

Grave marker for a John Deere dealer (John Deere Joe)

Anyway this mini is primarily for photography of and in Cemeteries. But just to give people an 'out', the photos can be of any life end point. Although I warn you that I will give priority to actual cemetery photos. Mini will run until July 20th at 0800 EDT

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2018

Interesting subject. Not sure I have what you are looking for, but will see.

1. George Washington's grave

2. Iraq-Afghanistan memorial at our local veteran's cemetery.

3. After the wreath-laying ceremony at the Texas State Veteran's Cemetery in Killeen, TX

It was really hard to choose which image from the wreath-laying events was my favorite. I actually put some in a collage, but wasn't sure if the collage is appropriate for the challenge. I will share it just to share though.

ETA: I did switch out one photo with the one you suggested.

This is the engraving at the top of the first photo above:

Sherry P.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2018

Thank you for sharing the collage - they are very interesting to make but hard to judge. And those photos are in the correct genre. I would have liked you to submit some of the photos individually - especially the top right one of the collage

• StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins

At first I didn't think I had any cemetery photos...and then I found many more than I needed. I am going to feature three from a favorite spot--the St. Peter and St. Paul Church graveyard in the village of Church Hanborough, Oxfordshire, England. The church dates from the 12th century (a sign proudly boasted that it had been remodeled in 1299).

As a slight aside, on the gate pictured in photo #1 there was a small whimsical detail: a little hedgehog (I think). I know we have folks from the UK in this forum, and I've always wanted to know--is there some meaning behind the carving? Is it a common thing to add such a small, sweet detail to garden/graveyard gates?

Oh beautiful. Love the gate detail

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2018

I don't have many cemetery photos, but managed to visit the one in Pori, Finland when I was there for work in April and May.
    All pictures were taken there.

1. Juselius Mausoluem

2. Christian Chapel

3. Protestant Chapel

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Here are my three entries:

1) Foresthill, Ca. There are two cemeteries here - Catholic and Protestant. I guess back in the 1800's it was a sin to be buried in the wrong cemetery! This is a carving by a local - one of three in the Catholic Cemetery.

2) Foresthill, Ca. This is in the Protestant Cemetery - the Thomas family dating from the 1800's. The gate that leads into the section is pictured - and has a depiction of what appears to be a willow tree.

3) St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church - Chinese Camp, Ca. This is a view from the interior through one of the windows to the graveyard next to the church. There was an effort to restore the church and other historic buildings in Chinese Camp, but it has been stalled for a number of years. Chinese Camp is the remnant of a notable California Gold Rush mining town. The settlement was first known as "Camp Washington" or "Washingtonville". Some of the very first Chinese laborers arriving in California in 1849 were driven from neighboring Camp Salvado and resettled here, and the area started to become known as "Chinee" or "Chinese Camp" or "Chinese Diggings". At one point the town was home to an estimated 5,000 Chinese. It's now considered a ghost town.

Just as a reference to the last shot - this is a photo of Xavier Church with the graveyard on either side. (Not an entry)

Peter very interesting to see pictures from Finland

Jo - I love the carving. I have not seen anything like that before. The weeping willow is a common 19th century symbol - nature's lament.

• BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2018

Been a while since I have submitted anything for the challenges. Time to get back in the habit!

1) St. Michael's Cemetery - Charleston, SC

2) Friedhof Ohlsdorf - Hamburg, Germany

3) Friedhof Ohlsdorf - Hamburg, Germany

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2018

I thought I had more to choose from, but here are a few from my small collection on this very interesting subject.

1) Juxtaposition. My partner and I thought it highly amusing that the cemetery in Bischofshofen, Austria is placed directly at the end of the world-cup ski jump (at least as seen through a zoom lens).

2) This memorial cross is right in front of the small cemetery for the plague vistims of 1635 (they got their own special cemetery outside of town)

3) The St. Peter's cemetery in Salzburg is a lovely oasis.

Two bonus shots, not for judging.
    Famous sarcophagi:
    1) Eleanor of Aquitaine and Henry II (I love that she appears to be reading abook)

2) Just a couple of weeks ago we were in the Seville Cathedral (magnificent although crowded) and visited Christoper Colombus.

Welcome back Kurt

Sara, I was thinking that Columbus was buried in Granada, but I guess that was Queen Isabella.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great theme GrandmaR, here's my contributions

Let them not be forgotten (crosses in the back of the church with the names of the people who died the last year)

Forever together:

Jewish cemetery iin Wroclaw

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

love the path leading into the Jewish cemetery Peter

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 11, 2018

Interesting topic! Not sure I have very many, but this first one came to mind immediately.
    1 This is the royal Romanav family of St. Petersburg at the Peter and Paul Cathedral in Russia.

2 This is the graveyard just outside of Jerusalem's wall on the side where the Golden Gate is and at the base of Mount of Olives. It is a very crowded cemetery and is divided up into sections depending on your religious beliefs.

3 This one was taken during a bus ride in Costa Rica, of the graveyard in Limon.

This is not for the challenge, but is a panorama of the Israel graveyard taken from the Mount of Olives. This will put into perspective on how big the graveyard really is.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

What an interesting challenge, and so many great images already. I am going to be away until the 26th of July, but will add three to the set plus one, anyhow.

1. Mortuary poles, Ninstints, Haida Gwaii, British Columbia, Canada. After preparation, important Haida dead were interred in boxes in the slots at the top of the poles.
    2. A graveyard near Massett, Haida Gwaii, British Columbia, Canada.

1. Fidel Castro's final resting place

A little aside here to Jo's (@cavalier) comment on separation in graveyards. This is a 2009 shot from a graveyard in Akaroa, New Zealand and apparently
    it is still important to head off in the right direction :)

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

@DavidRGillespie - I love the New Zealand Cemetery sign - Dissenters! My mother would have enjoyed the 'Dissenters', being a devout Irish Catholic in her day! :)

@Cavalier said:
    @DavidRGillespie - I love the New Zealand Cemetery sign - Dissenters! My mother would have enjoyed the 'Dissenters', being a devout Irish Catholic in her day! :)

I agree - at present I'm transitioning to a new computer so you may not hear from me for awhile.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2018

Buddhas tooth temple , Singapore. Each statue is a persons cremated remains

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited July 15, 2018

Thanks for the unique idea for a mini! I am going to share three photos but please do not consider them as entries. (Recovering from Lyme's disease and catching up from a busy June.)

1) Young Soldier (15 year old buried in WWI cemetery in Belgium)

2) Unknown Soldier

3) George S. Patton

• Wandering DaneWandering Dane Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins

1) Sarcophagus containing Denmark's Queen Margaret I, who died in 1412

2) A typical cemetery in rural Denmark

3) Flowers from the funeral, covering a recent burial, also in Denmark

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

I have a few to add from a cemetery in New Orleans

1 Offerings at the "Voodoo Queen" Tomb
    (was hiding behind someone so "she" couldn't see me lol!)

2 Fisse Family Vault

3 Top of a marker

Not an entry, but had to add a shot of my Goth couple, we went to several cemeteries

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

1 - Sleepy Hollow Cemetery

2 - Unknown British Sailor's grave, Cape Hatteras, NC. His body was recovered after his ship was sunk by a German U-boat off the North Carolina coast during World War II.

3 - Changing of the Guard, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Arlington National Cemetery

One more day

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    1. Leaning Headstones

2. Obelisk grave marker

3. Monuments among the trees

~~Barbara

Mini is closed. I'll post the results later today (if I can decide :) )