Dgrin Mini-Challenge #270 - Long Exposure - Silky Waters

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I'm sure everyone is familiar with using long exposure for waterfalls, rivers, waves, etc. But just in case, here's the Wikipedia short description - "Long-exposure, time-exposure, or slow-shutter photography involves using a long-duration shutter speed to sharply capture the stationary elements of images while blurring, smearing, or obscuring the moving elements."

So for this mini, I'd like to see silky water - rivers, oceans, waterfalls - anything wet that is nicely softened to a silky texture, while showing sharp stationary items. Here are some samples, but surely you all can do better than these!

Merced River outside Yosemite NP.

Stream in Yosemte NP

Brown water spout

Mini will run until **August 3, 2018 at 5pm, PDT

**OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Great challenge Jo! Here are my 3!

1 Ape exibit in Disney World

2 Hatcher's Pass, Independence Mine, Alaska

3 Shoshone Falls, Twin Falls, Idaho

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2018

Oh, fun topic even if I don't have much to share!

1. Trahlyta Falls at the Lake Trahlyta spillway, Vogel State Park, Georgia. I didn't have a tripod with me, so this is propped against the guard rail and hand-held.

2. This is Smith creek at Anna Ruby Falls, near Helen, Georgia

3. Another from Smith creek.

I need to find a bigger version of this last one, but it may be on the drive that was corrupted. :(

Sherry P.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2018

I do not have any photos that are of this type. That's because I am not normally photographing flowing water at present, and because when I started doing 35 mm film photography in 1958, my goal was to show all the droplets and turbulence of the water. And while I guess it is an interesting exercise to do, it is not one that appeals to me. I don't think I see water like that with my eyes and I don't like it in photos.

I have picked out three photos which might, if you bend the rules and give them the benefit of the doubt be on the edge of possibilities for this mini. They were all waterfalls in Yosemite which I took (film) in the mid 60s. The water was moving fast enough that it is a little blurred.

1. Mist from a Waterfall

2. Rainbow in Vernal Falls from the Mist Trail

It was on this trail that I slipped on some rocks and fell - in order to avoid going over the edge, I fell instead on my daughter who was walking in front of me. It skinned up her face and her baby incisors turned black afterward.

I think this is probably
    3. Yosemite Falls

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

Night time , long exposure , water and boats

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

I only found two, so a smaller entry from me for this mini:

Croatian waterfall

Silk and ice

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

It took me a while to pick my three, but here they are:

1. Diana's Baths, White Mountains, New Hampshire

2. Bemis Brook Falls, White Mountains, New Hampshire

3. Top of Sabbaday Falls, White Mountains, New Hampshire

~~Barbara
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

@bfluegie : Diana's Baths is beautiful! I love the colours and composition!

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Silk and Ice is so unusual

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

@pegelli : Thank you. I went to the area a little after peak color. The yellow and orange leaves were still around but the crowds weren't which made photography easier. I was told that on a sunny summer day the water here will be filled with swimmers. The day was a bit overcast and misty which helped with the saturation. But my photos with sky were pretty boring. This is my favorite from that day.

I like the way the water flows over the ice in your "Silk and Ice".

~~Barbara
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

I have a few from this summer in North Carolina, actually the first time I tried longer exposure on flowing water. :)
    1 Pigeon River

2 Looking Glass Falls

3 Purchase Knob hike

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

After a search I found three that somewhat qualify.

1) Kursunulu Falls, Turkey

2) Lichtensteinklamm, Austria

3) My favorite fountain in Bordeaux, France

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

OK folks, this mini is closed. I'll post the results later today. Thank you all for your great submissions.