Sandstone variations

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Criticism is welcome.

4 These are dunes composed of eroded sandstone:

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

My favorite of the set is 3, I think because of the contrast between the ground and the sky. I also really like 2. I think the more subtle coloration of the rocks works better for me than the harsher rocks in 1.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Thanks for the feedback, Denise. :)

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I lean toward #2. I ordinarily like a sharp image, from front to back. I wonder, though, if #2 would offer a greater sense of depth if you had played with the aperture and focus point to soften up the back of the scene. It's nice as is, though.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet!

Thanks, guys.

"I wonder, though, if #2 would offer a greater sense of depth if you had played with the aperture and focus point to soften up the back of the scene." I can see why you'd say that. The lines lead the eye to that area, though, and I wouldn't want a blur when the eyes arrive. The more dispositive answer is that I didn't think about it and can't easily go back!

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

I like #4... desolation, negative space and color works well...

Well done Corny

Rags

Thanks, rags.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Great set. Love number four! The negative space is perfect with this pic. Maybe it is the smaller size you posted here, but is there a way you can get more definition out of that sand? IOW, make it slightly darker? Looks almost (but not quite) blown out to me.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Nice work. I think #3 is my favorite--the little bit of sky helps give a sense of scale. Well done.

David, Richard, thanks very much.

David, I checked to see what detail I could get out of the sand. The sun was overhead and it was pretty flat. But with tone mapping and structure I brought some out. Here's an unfinished version. The detail adds depth. The bad news is that the detail consists in large part of footprints and ATV tracks. I'll work on it and see what I can do. Appreciate the feedback.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    I lean toward #2. I ordinarily like a sharp image, from front to back. I wonder, though, if #2 would offer a greater sense of depth if you had played with the aperture and focus point to soften up the back of the scene. It's nice as is, though.

I agree, this is my favorite shot, a tad more contrast perhaps?