Options

Can anyone recommend a good lense???

rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited December 7, 2005 in Accessories
Hi all
i'm still new here but not new to photography. I worked with my old Rebell 2000 for quite some time and decided that now it's the time to upgrade to Digital.
Anyway, bought used EOS 300D on ebay this past weekend but it's just a body. I thought about using my standard 28-80mm that came with old Canon but it's pretty dirty and getting it cleaned will run around $100 :cry
I think it's a good time to upgrade to better "short zoom" lense than this one. Can anyone recommend anything on the budget of $150 max that's good in simmilar focal range for my new 300D???
Thanx alot for any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Hi all
    i'm still new here but not new to photography. I worked with my old Rebell 2000 for quite some time and decided that now it's the time to upgrade to Digital.
    Anyway, bought used EOS 300D on ebay this past weekend but it's just a body. I thought about using my standard 28-80mm that came with old Canon but it's pretty dirty and getting it cleaned will run around $100 :cry
    I think it's a good time to upgrade to better "short zoom" lense than this one. Can anyone recommend anything on the budget of $150 max that's good in simmilar focal range for my new 300D???
    Thanx alot for any suggestions.
    you can't get a whole lot for 150 but there are always the 18-55 kit lenses for sale on www.fredmiranda.com or if you wanted to spend another 50ish you could buy a used 28-105 like i have. it is a FANTASTIC lense and as quiet as a mouse. amazing buy for just 230ish.ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=262241&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation the 28-105. not the f/ 3.5-4.5 like i have but its 4-5.6 still a great lense thothumb.gif only 130 plus shipping.

if you want the 3.5-4.5 its about 230ish+ shipping.

good luckthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited December 6, 2005
    thanx for the input,
    I'm thinking right now about Sigma 28-70mm DG , pretty cheap for 2.8f but not decided for sure yet.
  • Options
    RobtRobt Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2005
    I'd think strongly about how bad/good that old 28-80 is/was.

You have it. If it works for you now then why not have it cleaned for the hundred [$129 at Phototronics here in Seattle] and use it until the cash flow eases. This plugs the outgo now and lets you do things with your money on a schedule you control to a much greater degree.

I've never shot Canon, I was a starving student, that experience I can share.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2005
    Robt wrote:
    I'd think strongly about how bad/good that old 28-80 is/was.

You have it. If it works for you now then why not have it cleaned for the hundred [$129 at Phototronics here in Seattle] and use it until the cash flow eases. This plugs the outgo now and lets you do things with your money on a schedule you control to a much greater degree.

I've never shot Canon, I was a starving student, that experience I can share.
    i don't know, but if i have to clean it for $100 or so, I'd rather buy this Sigma new for $80. It can't be worse than that Canon and it's brighter. Trust me, that canon that cane standard on Rebell 2000 is pretty bad :):