Flower abstract

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
edited July 29, 2018 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

That's pretty cool--nice detail. Here's a question for you: if you were painting this instead of taking a pic, would you have included the three green patches? How about changing the color there?

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Good point Richard, I will work on it.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

This is interesting, Cristóbal. As shown, I feel the image is weighted too much to the left side....no doubt influenced by the dominance of light in that area. I'd address the color work that Richard mentioned and then I'd display this image in the landscape format. Doing that, the difference in the light and darker segments appears more natural to me.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Thanks Tom, part of reason I chose the crop was to leave out an area that was out of focus. I tried to use the pistil on the lower left as the leading line. Last night, I tried to change the color of the green strip, but haven't settled on something I like yet.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@Juano said:
    Last night, I tried to change the color of the green strip, but haven't settled on something I like yet.

I think you could just force it to black. There are other black areas in the image.

Still not completely happy...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

I am no purest , believe me on this , but an abstract is something that is not able to be known what it is . So maybe semi Abstract .
    Abstraction in photography is a very sensitive subject , , but if you break it down , it all comes down to the basics that abstract paints boil down to.
    Composition , Balance , Color , Lines , Form .. Everything comes to gather to make an almost audible emotional sound . An abstract moves your viewer , it makes them look deeper , and almost step into the scene. In photography we have a great trick up our sleeves is we can allow one small part of the photo to be anchored in reality , and the rest abstract ..
    Balance and a very good understanding of composition are needed . Because if one thing is out , the photo is just some blur masquerading as art. But do not let this put you off , no one said it would be ask easy as Rhein II a Photograph by Andreas Gursky , it sold for 2.7 Million pounds and is especially Sky , far background , water , mid ground green grass and foreground . , Have a look for it on google. , even if you dont like it , try and see WHY it is an excellent abstract photo . Balance ... Both in the colors , the textures and composition ., it flips between what we know is reality and what some might see as just lines of stuck on colored textures pasted in perfect horizontal lines..

In your photo above , If I may suggest , going in even deeper , Cop in harder , a curve and allowing your viewers eye to slide effortlessly up and down the lines , picking out minute details and the colors either soft and slow creating a slow movement , then the colors darker , more contrast , more in focus and fine details , harder edges , creating an energized movement ..Repetition depth and anything but boring ,, The viewer is taken on a trip that feeds his eyes , soothes or shakes his world..

Did I mention , Abstracts are not easy ..

Thanks for the comment, I should have titled it close-up instead of abstract, as this was my intent. You are right abstract photography is not easy, good ones are hard to find.

Thanks for looking. Based on this discussion I think my abstracts gallery is miss-named... I really like your blurred pictures, another passion of mine.

With the flower above, I am still mesmerized by the natural beauty and complexity of it.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Pretty good!