Trying to figure out how to crop--or if to

double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins

Trying to figure out how to--or if to--crop this photo. I'm mostly happy with it--exposure is slightly iffy, but pretty OK, I think. Curious to hear what you all think.

Uncropped:

Cropped:

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited August 5, 2018

On the top: I think you need a little more room above the trees on the right for some sky room.
    On the left: A wee bit more room on the left (I'd crop the left side immediately to the right of the big rock on the horizon to let the image trail off a bit).
    On the right: It looks OK.
    The bottom: Also looks OK to me.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

FWIW, I prefer it uncropped. The rocks on the right are too dominant in the cropped version, making it a little claustrophobic for me. It also loses most of the waves, which are nice.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 5, 2018

I also prefer the uncropped version. The cropped version loses the sense of scene (for me).

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I'm with RIchard and Denise - the uncropped version is my preference. I find the exposure a tad on the dark side.

If I cropped it any, I would consider taking out just a bit of the right side and those rocks in the bottom foreground so that the crop has the same proportions but a bit less of the heavy rocks on the right side. Just a thought, not sure if it will work.

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

Of the two you posted, I prefer the uncropped. If I were going to crop this photo, I think I would take a little off the right instead of the left. I don't think you would lose much by cropping from the right near that dip in the tree line, but still wouldn't crop at all unless I needed to do so for printing.

Sherry P.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Uncropped!

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

@sarasphotos said:
    If I cropped it any, I would consider taking out just a bit of the right side and those rocks in the bottom foreground so that the crop has the same proportions but a bit less of the heavy rocks on the right side. Just a thought, not sure if it will work.

I agree, proportionally cropped from the right bottom just that the bottom rocks in the foreground disappear - I think that could work. I think it would remove a little bit of distraction from the foreground.

Otherwise, this is a great photo as-is in the uncropped version!

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins

@sarasphotos said:
    I'm with RIchard and Denise - the uncropped version is my preference. I find the exposure a tad on the dark side.

Yeah, I’m conflicted about that. I’m still a Lightroom and Photoshop neophyte using an ancient, uncalibrated laptop. (Excuses, excuses....) A bit lighter might be the answer. I’ll fiddle.

@kurzvorzwoelf said:

@sarasphotos said:

I agree, proportionally cropped from the right bottom just that the bottom rocks in the foreground disappear - I think that could work. I think it would remove a little bit of distraction from the foreground.

Otherwise, this is a great photo as-is in the uncropped version!

Very good point on the foreground rocks. Now that you point them out it’s obvious. Thank you very much. :)

• junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins

Just to be contrary..I would crop from the bottom and eliminate the water in the foreground. I think it interferes with the somber gloomy look that I like.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Top image...I'd go with a 16x10 or 16x9 crop, whichever moves the trees into the top-right corner.

Beautiful image!

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Then again, maybe just squeezing the original aspect ratio so as to remove some of that giant heavy rock on the right, opening the eye more toward the stream and distant background subjects.