Sony A7r III focus point not visible?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins

Hey guys!

I find the focus point of my a7r III not really visible compared to the focus point of my Canon 5d.... A lot of times I am struggling to find where the focus dot is. Is there a way to make it more visible? Anybody else experienced this?
Is there a way to improve the responsiveness and visibility of the AF (square) dots?

Thanks!

Comments

• waldhaus1waldhaus1 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins

There are many ways to set up focus and focus point on the a7r III. The best way to begin to get a handle on that is to google the topic of a7r III focusing. Gary Friedman has a book that goes into much detail on focusing in the Sony system. Mark Galleries also has information as does Luminous Landscape.
    Of course it depends which viewfinder you are using the LCD or the viewfinder. You can adjust brightness and contrast of both. Also there is focus masking that shows up when you manually adjust focus. The focus point you are using (center, wide, etc.) makes a difference in finding what is in focus. The camera can also be set up with back button focus to focus in the center of the frame and then recompose.
    Perhaps others will have more direct answers.

Waldhaus
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins

I see! Thanks! I hope I don't need a book to be able to shoot the Sony cameras. I never needed a book for my Canon.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@haring said:
    I see! Thanks! I hope I don't need a book to be able to shoot the Sony cameras. I never needed a book for my Canon.

As a long time Canon shooter, I recently put together a Sony A6500 kit for light travel and backpacking. I really hate the Sony UI compared to Canon. Funny thing is I don't think Sony even has a "book". Operating it seems to be more witchcraft than anything. YouTube videos may or may not help. Pity, because the Sony can be really good if you can figure out how to make it do what you want.