Canon 40D replacement

MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins

Hi,

My Canon 40D has developed another issue, this time the top selector wheel has stopped working. Rather than another repair (its had a few) I am thinking of replacing it and looking at the 80D. Would this be the best option, or, since I am still very happy with the 40D would one of the lower level models be a decent upgrade at a cheaper price?

Used mostly for a small home studio. Very rarely use it outside as I have a Fuji system I take when traveling.

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 15, 2018

Just a quick comment--when you say the wheel has stopped working, could it be that the rubber rim is slipping? It feels like the wheel has no resistance, but what's really happening is the rim is moving but the actual plastic part that drives the control is not. Or sometimes it works in one direction but not the other. This is a common thing with Canon xxD cameras, especially in hot weather. The good news is that it is easy to fix yourself. Here's a sample link: https://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/gear/bodies/Fixing-Slipping-Main-Dial-On-A-Canon-DSLR.html Some people recommend using glue, but I've found that a drop of isopropyl alcohol worked fine on a 50D. I'd try that first and if it fails, then use a drop of superglue.

• MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins

Hi Richard,

it may be and I will try the solution. Thank you.

• mikestrockmikestrock Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    I had a 60D which I loved. Lost it in a divorce. Just picked up a T6, which I have used for a few shoots. I blew up one of my recent photos to 20x30 and it looked AMAZING. Given the opportunity, I would pick up a second T6 body. I really like it.

Mike.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

The 80D is wonderful and a good value for the money in my opinion. Great image quality and all sorts of cool features like articulated screen and dual-pixel AF which makes it excellent for video. Not that you need any of that for studio work, but you may find uses for them. The sensor is the best crop sensor that Canon has ever made, better than the more expensive 7DMKII. With studio lighting, I think it would be indistinguishable from a full-frame body by looking at the images.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited August 17, 2018

It would be helpful to know:

What type of studio? (People/Portrait, Product, Food, etc.)
    What type of lighting? (Flash/Studio-strobes, Flo, Tungsten or other hot light, mixture of lighting.)
    If flash, what method of sync? (PC, Hotshoe, Wireless, etc.)
    If fluorescent, what type specifically? (Some fluorescent have a very high frequency ballast, while others use line frequency. Some cameras may work better with one type over the other.)

Additionally, how do you work and what is your workflow? Some of that is indicated by the previous questions and answers, but some may be particular and require features of the 40D.

Any desired property/ies you would like in a newer camera vs the 40D that you have?

The more you tell us the better we can advise for a suitable replacement.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

@Ziggy,
    I use the 40D for table top predominately macro or close up. Fixed light and/or also flash (YN560s with wireless trigger).
    I occasionally take it out when I want to ise the 70-200 lens (this combo is still faster than the fuji + 55-200).

I am very happy with the 40D so haven't thought about what else I would like. The 40D is doing everything I want apart from changing aperture...

@Richard,

It may well be the rubber rim slipping, not as loose as the example in the link you posted though. I contacted the local Canon repair centre and they are no longer supporting the 40D so I will have a go at repairing it myself.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited August 20, 2018

@Martyn said:
    @Ziggy,
    I use the 40D for table top predominately macro or close up. Fixed light and/or also flash (YN560s with wireless trigger).
    I occasionally take it out when I want to ise the 70-200 lens (this combo is still faster than the fuji + 55-200).

I am very happy with the 40D so haven't thought about what else I would like. The 40D is doing everything I want apart from changing aperture...

Nothing wrong with continuing to use the (hopefully) repaired Canon 40D or another copy; I still have mine too. You might try a very similar 50D, which has the advantage of 15 MPix and a much improved LCD. The extra photosites can yield better cropping options and more color information overall.

The earlier comment by kdog about the 80D would be, of course, a major improvement in some images, primarily in high-ISO, where it holds more usable dynamic range than the 40D, which looses a noticeable amount of DR at high-ISOs. The 24MPix resolution of the 80D is also quite welcome. It sounds like the 80D would also work with your current lighting setups.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums