Hawk on a Wind Vane

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
edited October 13, 2019 in Wildlife

I had my barn re-roofed last summer and I had 2 new wind vanes installed on the roof peaks ( the old ones had rusted away and fallen off over the years as my barn is over 75 years old )

I have never seen birds perching on the wind vanes which are mobile and about 3 feet long. Not sure why, they are a nice perch, but I have never seen a bird on the wind vanes since they were installed last summer.

But this morning, in the rain, I awoke and looked out my bedroom window and saw this hawk, dripping wet, perched on my wind vane. It is not a great image, photographically speaking - I should have tried from a different vantage point, but if I had left the house the hawk would immediately depart - so I shot from my second story bedroom window through the rain. I love photographs of birds when the weather is terrible, and they are dripping wet and wind blown.. It shows me just how tough their lives can be at times

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nice story Jim! I can understand the charm of this shot from your POV.

I think my initial reaction was that there are so many distracting elements that at first I couldn't even find the Hawk.

Now that I found it I can see it....

I think you might want to play with different crops.....I am thinking quarter inch to the left of the arrow.....or maybe half inch.....

Cheers m8!

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 18, 2018

I really wanted to be able to move right or left to move the line of greenery either towards, or away from the hawk, but as I said, changing position was not an option. You really think a different crop will help?

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

I don't know....I just came back and still had trouble finding Hawk.....but I like the sentiment attached to this shot! Cheers Jim!