California Sea Lions

Tony BrittonTony Britton Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins

A favorite black & white conversion of a pair of sea lions basking in the sunlight. Side-lighting helped me achieve the effect I desired for this photograph.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Wow!! Nice conversion and nice side lighting!

Kudos to your light adjuster! Late afternoon pre-sunset lighting is so sweet.

You might ask yourself whether you really need all that black negative space or could this image be better if the upper right corner were lowered and moved to the left just slightly?

I like the negative space but there is a lot of it....

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I really like this one. And I like the amount of negative space.

• Tony BrittonTony Britton Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins

@pathfinder said:
    Wow!! Nice conversion and nice side lighting!

Kudos to your light adjuster! Late afternoon pre-sunset lighting is so sweet.

You might ask yourself whether you really need all that black negative space or could this image be better if the upper right corner were lowered and moved to the left just slightly?

I like the negative space but there is a lot of it....

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I greatly appreciate your suggestion and it would certainly work well for this image. Thank you for that!

Best regards,

Tony
    https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/

@denisegoldberg said:
    I really like this one. And I like the amount of negative space.

Thanks so very much, Denise. I always appreciate you taking the time to look and comment on my photographs!

Best regards,

Tony
    https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I love this one - wonderful lighting, composition and detail. Very sweet pose.

@Cavalier said:
    I love this one - wonderful lighting, composition and detail. Very sweet pose.

Thanks so very much for looking and commenting!

Tony

• double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins

I like the negative space, but agree with @pathfinder that there's just a bit much of it. I love the texture and the anthropomorphic emotion I read into it. Very nice shot.

@double_entendre said:
    I like the negative space, but agree with @pathfinder that there's just a bit much of it. I love the texture and the anthropomorphic emotion I read into it. Very nice shot.

Thanks for looking and commenting. I'm having a bit of good luck with this photo. I submitted it to a travel magazine and they posted it this morning on their Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram social media pages. WooHoo!

Tony

• double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins

@Tony Britton said:

@double_entendre said:

Thanks for looking and commenting. I'm having a bit of good luck with this photo. I submitted it to a travel magazine and they posted it this morning on their Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram social media pages. WooHoo!

Tony

Well heck! Don't listen to me about negative space then. That's awesome!

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

I like the negative space and the foto

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata