Nikon Coolpix P1000: 24-3000 optical zoom

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited July 10, 2018 in Cameras

Not a typo. 3000mm, and up to 6000mm with something called Dynamic Fine Zoom enabled.

https://www.nikon.com/news/2018/0710_cpx_01.htm

I don't pay a whole lot attention to gear anymore, as what I have works well enough for what I do. But man, they're not making point 'n' shoots like they used to.

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2018

Man, I don't know...it's supposed to be compact, but it's huge...when you zoom in all the way, the max aperture is f/8...tiny sensor...

Seems like you can only use the new Nikon outdoors on a sunny day, or if you take pictures of the moon all the time. They should have released this before the total solar eclipse, though, they would have sold a fair amount.

The point and shoot I use is the exact opposite. Fits in a pocket, wide fast f/1.4 zoom lens that stops down to f/2.3 at the long end,.

It is kind of sad that Nikon killed the DL compact line, and this week announced that the Nikon 1 mirrorless line is dead, and then they come out with this. This camera is like a cry for help from a camera company in the smartphone age...

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited July 12, 2018

It's encouraging that the lens design seems commensurate with great image quality, but I think it's important with this almost $1,000 price tag to wait a bit before jumping in with a purchase. Wait until some more hands-on reviews show up and consumer reviews too.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

What Nikon Canada has to say (YouTube video):

Introducing the new Nikon Coolpix P1000

... And B&H:

First Look | Nikon COOLPIX P1000

ziggy53
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@ziggy53 said:
    It's encouraging that the lens design seems commensurate with great image quality, but I think it's important with this almost $1,000 price tag to wait a bit before jumping in with a purchase. Wait until some more hands-on reviews show up and consumer reviews too.

Indeed. Conventional wisdom used to hold that anything more than about 3x was pushing the limit for a high quality optical zoom. But this is, what, 125x? How is that even possible even if it's a foot long? Is it a microscopic sensor?

edited July 12, 2018

According to an Adorama article:

"The camera also features a 16-megapixel and 1/2.3-inch BSI CMOS sensor, which includes an ISO range of 100-6400, can capture images in RAW format (which wasn’t previously available in the P900)."

I believe that this is a fairly typical size for P&S and Advanced Digicam cameras, as well as many consumer camcorders.

ziggy53
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 12, 2018

@ziggy53 said:
    What Nikon Canada has to say (YouTube video):

Introducing the new Nikon Coolpix P1000

... And B&H:

First Look | Nikon COOLPIX P1000

Thanks for the links. I was certainly wrong to call this beast a point 'n' shoot--I was misled by the Coolpix name, I suppose. I'll be interested in seeing the real-world reception. I can't even imagine what I would do with 3000mm, but if the quality is high enough, wildlife photographers might be thrilled. Personally, I would love to see something wider and not as long, say, 16-600, a modest 37.5x zoom. But I have no idea whether the technology used here could support that.

edited July 12, 2018

I kind of agree with Nikon Canada that this might be a good "addition" to a dSLR system. The pricing plus RAW and extreme zoom range make this a rather odd critter.

ziggy53
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins

The 3000mm may be optical but is it the 35mm equiv? I remember being told a lens of any length is the same length on any system. A 50mm is normal on a 35mm system and an 85mm is normal on a 220 format. But if the sensor is cut smaller then it "appears" that the lens is longer but it's just a crop. So when they say 3000mm they are no doubt just cropping the sensor size. I wonder what the lens really is.

@luckyrwe said:
    The 3000mm may be optical but is it the 35mm equiv? I remember being told a lens of any length is the same length on any system. A 50mm is normal on a 35mm system and an 85mm is normal on a 220 format. But if the sensor is cut smaller then it "appears" that the lens is longer but it's just a crop. So when they say 3000mm they are no doubt just cropping the sensor size. I wonder what the lens really is.

Yes, the "3000mm" rating is an "equivalent" FF Field-Of-View/Angle-Of-View (FOV/AOV). Yes, it's true that the measured focal length is much less, but since that shorter focal length is applied to a much smaller sensor than FF, it is fair to make the equivalence.

The actual focal length at the long end is 539 mm (according to Nikon), and Nikon continues: "angle of view equivalent to that of 24-3000 mm lens in 35mm [135] format"

ziggy53
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins

Thank you for that info!!!

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2018

The lens will be fine, the shots will look pretty good, it comes down to if the camera is useable.
    I bought a Nikon P610 a couple of years back. It's worthless.
    Put on high speed frames per second, take a three shot burst, wait 10 seconds before you can do anything with the camera.
    Now if they put a buffer on it that helps make the camera quicker to use after a burst, this could be a fun camera.

a shot with the P610 at 700mm equivalent.

dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

The original title of this video was not really helpful, so I offer the following title instead which I believe tells the story:

Panasonic FZ80 vs Nikon P1000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZOpBHGUBxY

ziggy53
    edited October 7, 2018

Nikon P1000 - Moon Arch Close Up, Colorful Luminaries, Coolpix Super Zoom King Globe Buster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByeAsTH8OTg

=====================================================

Better production quality

Nikon P1000 View of 3 Planets & the 41% Moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQjk3BPeZf8

ziggy53
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

@colourbox said:

The point and shoot I use is the exact opposite. Fits in a pocket, wide fast f/1.4 zoom lens that stops down to f/2.3 at the long end,.

I must ask Colourbox; what point and shoot is that you mentioned? Sounds interesting!

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

@Brody said:

@colourbox said:

I must ask Colourbox; what point and shoot is that you mentioned? Sounds interesting!

I suspect that the "f/2.3" at the long end could be a typo, as I'm not aware of any body with that particular specification. If it's f/1.4 at the wide end and f/2.8 at the longer end then it could be either the Panasonic Lumix LX10 or LX15 @ 24mm-72mm (respectively and equivalent to FF). This pair of pocketable P&S are among the fastest aperture compact zoom cameras on the planet.

ziggy53
    edited February 14, 2019

@Brody said:

@colourbox said:

It is the very popular Sony RX100. My specific model is the VA/M5A. Tech specs:
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx100m5a/specifications

ziggy53, looks like my earlier reply was a typo since yes, it's f/2.8 at the long end as the spec sheet above confirms.
    The funny thing is my last 2 point-and-shoots were the Lumix LX series that you mentioned. I had an LX3 and then an LX7. As you can see I do value big fast apertures over focal length. I'd rather have a sharper image and crop, then a zoomed-in image that's noisy and potentially motion-blurred.

When I decided to upgrade to a 1-inch sensor, I switched to Sony because the video features were so much better, specifically high frame rate capabiities.

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

It is the very popular Sony RX100. My specific model is the VA/M5A. Tech specs:
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx100m5a/specifications

Thanks much for yoour feedback @colourbox - I will be doing some reading! 👍🏻

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited February 18, 2019

@Brody if you want one of these fast aperture one-inch sensor compacts, and you're happy with basic 4K video capability, you should also take a long look at the Panasonic Lumix LX10/LX15 that ziggy53 mentioned, because if it fits your needs the commonly discounted cost is about half of the RX100 price.