Dgrin Mini-Challenge #271 - Music and Concerts

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

Doesn’t everyone love music? Maybe concerts aren’t your thing, but I’ll bet you have photos of street performers, musical instruments, or something that reminds you of music. For me, August is the time of year when high school and college marching bands start practicing for the new season. I do photography for one of our local high school bands, so music is definitely on my mind right now!
So for this mini, I'd like to see any examples of Music! This can be concerts, musical instruments, or anything that makes the viewer think of something musical such as their favorite song or musical artist. Here are some samples, but surely you all can do better than these! Might I say that it was really hard coming up with a good theme that hasn’t been done in a while. I hope that everyone enjoys this mini theme. I know I’m going to!

1. Girl with guitar

2. Drummer with high school band

3. More Marching Band

4. Joan Jett

5. Roger Daltrey, The Who

6. My daughter marching back in 2010

7. My daughter playing in the stands at a football game

8. Street Performer

Mini will run until **August 28, 2018 at 5pm, CDT (That’s about 3 weeks; I'll be busy with this year's band pics until then!!)

**OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 7, 2018

A very unique challenge Sherry! Here is what I can come up with as I do not have many to choose from.

1- Giant Guitar

2- Theatrical singing (from the musical "The Drunkard" off Broadway production)

3- Horn composition

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2018

These are all perfect! I love them all. :) I'm a little partial to the one with sheet music and the horn. Maybe because that's what my husband plays. ;)
    Sherry

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins

Three pictures from the same event. All bands from the area where I live. The name of the picture is the name of the band.
    The light engineer during this event made life a hell for the photographers. As soon as one would lift his camera, he made it dark.
    At one moment, one of the singers made a remark about it after standing in almost complete darkness for nearly a minute.
    Nevertheless, we got some interesting shots.

1. "All I Know"

1. "The Buxtons"

1. "Billy The Kill"

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2018

1. Musicians in Grenada

2. Local High School Marching Band

at the start of the Veterans Day Parade (which starts across the street from our house)

1. I was trying to illustrate the Gilbert & Sullivan song from Ruddigore which starts "WHEN the night wind howls. In the chimney cowls, And the bat in the moonlight flies"

And the inky clouds,
    Like funeral shrouds,
    Sail over the midnight skies--

When the footpads quail
    At the night-bird’s wail,
    And black dogs bay at the moon,
    Then is the spectre’s holiday--
    Then is the ghost’s high noon!

Ha! Ha!

Then is the ghost’s high noon!

As the sob of the breeze
    Sweeps over the trees
    And the mists lie low on the fen,
    From grey tomb-stones
    Are gathered the bones
    That once were women and men,

And away they go,
    With a mop and a mow,
    To the revel that ends too soon,
    For cock crow limits our holiday--
    The dead of the night’s high noon!

Ha! Ha!

And then each ghost
    With his ladye-toast
    To their church yard beds take flight,
    With a kiss, perhaps,
    On her lantern chaps,
    And a grisly grim, “good night!”

Till the welcome knell
    Of the midnight bell
    Rings forth its jolliest tune,
    And ushers in our next high holiday--

Ha! Ha!

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I had to dig a bit but I found tree entries, all of which are slightly unconventional.

1) Alphorn convention in Reit im Winkl, Germany

2) Washerwomen singing at the medieval fair in Nabburg, Germany

3) Musicians at midnight in Malaga. On a recent trip to Spain we were enjoying a late night schnapps in a cafe on the main square in Malaga. Suddenly a group of twelve men in traditional costumes gathered and began to serenade us with Spanish folk/flamenco songs. A crowd gathered and the musicians were totally enchanting and full of joy - many in the crowd sang along with some of the songs. On of those great unplanned moments that make a trip truly special.

Thanks Peter, Grandma, and Sara. These are wonderful! It's so hard to get halfway decent lighting at a concert. I have tried (and failed miserably) so many times. Yes, it is frustrating, but you have 3 nice ones! Grandma, I just love your third one. It is very creative and I love the narrative you posted with it. Sara, I especially like your third one as well. The story makes it so much better, too.

Something similar happened with us once time a long time ago. We were at a local restaurant for a co-worker's going away lunch. It happened to be a day or two before Valentine's Day. We were a large group of maybe 20-25 people, so we had a fairly large space in the restaurant taken. We were probably a little loud for the lunch crowd. I know we were doing a lot of laughing and reminiscing. There was a table of 4 men seated next to us (poor guys). We finished our lunches about the same time. The gentlemen got up and asked if they could sing to our group. They were a barbershop quartet who had been practicing that morning and then went to lunch together. They said we were having too much fun and they wanted in. They sang several songs to our group and of course the whole restaurant stopped to listen. It was great. That was before the age of cell phone cameras (heck, before the age of cell phones), and I didn't have a camera then either, so no pictures sad to say. Still, great memories. Your photo and story reminded me of that day, so thank you for that!

Sherry

Sherry, I love your barbershop quartet story!

• CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins

1) Old Time Jam

2) Mardi Gras

3) Fightin' Texas Aggie Band

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2018

• BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2018

@CHANDLERJA said:
    3) Fightin' Texas Aggie Band

Gig 'em! Class of '81

Entries will be forthcoming.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2018

number 1: Shola and Florian

number 2: Hurdy-Gurdy player

number 3: SX

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins

First--Mongoose330, that photo is amazing. Well done!

Okay. I have a few to share--by way of explanation before I post, I've directed and/or shot a lot of high school musicals over the last few years. So hopefully these shots might get a few songs stuck in your head! (If the photos don't meet the parameters of the contest, I'll understand.)

1. "Right here in River City/Trouble with a capital "T"/And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!" (Song: "Trouble" sung by Harold Hill in The Music Man)

2. "All's well that ends with me!" (Song: "Me" sung by Gaston from Beauty and the Beast.)

3. And one that was not directed by me, but by a dear friend. Just 'cause this is the one you're bound to hum all day...
      "The sun will come up tomorrow!" (Song: "Tomorrow" sung by Annie from Annie. Director: A. Dermody)

• BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins

After seeing these entries... I got nothing!

@sarasphotos Enjoy the Augsburger Plärrer!

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

@BMW Kurt said:

Ditto. About all I could find was a street performer with brandy snifters filled to varying levels with water, taken with my pocket camera. Humorous, but definitely not in the same league as the entries so far. I may keep looking but I don't expect much...

~~Barbara

@BMW Kurt said:

@sarasphotos Enjoy the Augsburger Plärrer!

Danke, Kurt!

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Great theme & wonderful entries! Nice variety of subject matter - what a wonderful world of music!!

1. Stage 5 at the 2010 Walnut Valley Festival, late in the night

2. The Practice Session - one of my favorite DGrin challenges (Norman Rockwell), with my 2 college kids home, helping & humoring me ;)

3. Bass Instinct

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
    edited August 25, 2018

Streets of Cape Town.
    This was a commercial been filmed in Cape Town , i walked by , went up took the photo and walked away

There's still time to enter this mini, but you need to hurry!! Today is the last day--5 pm Central !! Already lots of great entries, but I still need to see YOURS!!

Sherry P.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited August 28, 2018

Hi Sherry, thank you for a fun mini! Quickly adding a few images from our travels but please don't consider them when judging. (Still playing catch up from my Lyme disease and summer travels.) Thanks.

1) Musicians playing during the Rice Festival Parade in Arles, France

2) Band playing on Sunday morning near Abidjan, Ivory Coast

3) Buglers at Menin Gate honoring those who gave their lives during WWI in Belgium.

This mini is now CLOSED. I will try to have comments and winners posted by tomorrow. (I'm not promising that I can narrow down my choices by tonight!)

Thanks to everyone who entered and those who posted photos for fun as well. You have made my selection very tough indeed!

Sherry P

@StueveShots said:
    First--Mongoose330, that photo is amazing. Well done!

>

Thank you , appreciate the compliment ,I still have a lot to learn , but the fun is figuring it all out , You guys just make it easier