Racing Champions

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

These two cars are racing thoroughbreds of the highest order.

This Cobra is known as the Dick Smith Cobra. It was piloted to more national and divisional championships than any other Cobra. In 1967 it posted a top speed of 198 mph....making it the fastest street-based car in the world at that time. A few current street-based cars can exceed that top speed but that's not surprising considering that 50 years have passed since this car ruled the roost.

This car started it all for the infamous Mercedes-Banz 300 SL gullwing cars. The car you're looking at is a 1952 Mercedes 300 SL W194. It won the historic 24 hour LeMans race and spawned a series of cars that ruled international racing for some time.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

The Cobra sponsored by a bail bondsman???...

You would need one with that Cobra... :D

Rags
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@torags said:
    The Cobra sponsored by a bail bondsman???...

You would need one with that Cobra... :D

I'll give an AMEN to that.

See you, Rags.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Good Stuff Tom! Always see things that I have never seen before!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:

I agree!

edited September 5, 2018

@Stumblebum said:

Glad you like this stuff, Taz. A real benefit to a world-class show like this Amelia Island Concours d' Elegance is that, frequently, some of the leading European manufacturers with a strong racing heritage ( think companies like Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, etc., etc. ) will bring over some of their most historic cars from the company museum. Getting to actually see something like that Mercedes 300 SL W194 is a thrill.

edited August 27, 2018

@Juano said:

@Stumblebum said:

I agree!

Hey, Cristóbal. See my remarks to Taz above. If you ever see some old ( 5o's and 60's ) American iron still running around in your neck of the woods, could you fire off a shot or two and post them up?