Options

DGRIN Mini Challenge #271 -- Music and Concerts : RESULTS

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
edited August 30, 2018 in The Dgrin Challenges

Wow! Judging this one was tough! I really liked every single entry that was posted! I enjoyed seeing the different ways that everyone captured music. It just made me so happy to see them all. Sorry it has taken me so long to get the results posted. I ended up being a bit busier than I expected to be and seriously misjudged how much time I would need to decide on the winners.

First, a few comments:

JAG: Thanks for posting first to get this mini started. I loved all three of yours (as I usually do), so this was the perfect way to get the ball rolling on this mini. My favorite is your horn composition. It shows the creativity that I admire so much and don't possess myself, plus I loved the composition with the horn & sheet music with the background being a muted close-up of the trumpet's keys. So perfect!

GSPeP: Always tough to get decent shots at a concert, but you did well in spite of lighting challenges. I really like the 'hair light' in your first one "All I Know", plus it has great lighting on the guitar.

GrandmaR: I love all three of yours. I love the color in Musicians in Grenada, plus I am a bit partial to marching bands. :) If they had been playing instead of just marching, that one would have been the winner. ;) That said, your image of "When the Night Wind Howls" is so very interesting. It is a very creative composition, but that story just really sets it off and makes it a super cool image. Very strong. I love it.

Sara's Photos: The Alphorns are definitely unique. I love the splashes of color with the horns and the costumes. My favorite is your Musicians at Midnight. One can see (and hear) the joy of music in this shot.

Chandlerja: Again, three super nice entries. Being a Texas girl, and a marching band enthusiast/Mom/superfan, I love your shot of the Aggie Band. Again, I do wish they were playing, but it is a great shot without that. I do love Mardi Gras as well.

Mongoose330: I love the reflection of the piano keys in the sunglasses, but I am a big fan of your black & white "Shhhh Neighbours Sleeping". I definitely see the joy of music there. Most excellent!!

Pegelli: Three great choices yet again! I really like the Hurdy Gurdy player. Just enough attitude showing, plus it is a unique instrument so it makes this a very interesting image.

StueveShots: Most excellent entries, especially with theater lighting! Superb job with these. I am most drawn to #3 with its pop of red, plus the expression on the dog's face is simply priceless.

lkbart: Again, all three of yours fit the theme so perfectly. I LOVE the creativity in "Practice Session". That one is just so wonderfully put together, but I am drawn to Bass Instinct with the guitarist and the dancer (in mid-leap, no less). There is just enough mystery there to want to see more of what is going on.

Sapphire73: Thanks for sharing your entries. Too bad they are just for sharing. I love your second shot of the band/mini parade near Abidjan, Ivory Coast.

Now for the hard part--picking my favorites and determining the winner of this mini. UGH!! Why does it have to be so hard????

Really, I could have chosen any of these images to be the winner and been very happy with myself, but I cannot declare all of them the winner. I would have though if I could! Congratulations to all of you for the most excellent entries in the theme of Music and Concerts.

Honorable Mentions: (I seriously considering putting all entries right here....)
Sara's Photos -- Musicians at Midnight
Stueve Shots --The Sun Will Come Up Tomorrow
Chandlerja -- Aggie Band
lkbart -- Bass Instinct

3rd place -- JAG "horn Composition"

2nd Place: Mongoose330 "Neighbours Sleeping"

1st Place/Winner: GrandmaR "When the Night Wind Howls"

Now I will figure out how to post the thumbnails of these images here. Congratulations everyone and thank you all for participating!! It was an honor and a pleasure hosting this mini.

Sherry P.

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Thank you Sherry for all your hard work on running and judging this round! Thank you also for your comments and placing one of my images for this round. A big kudos to @mongoose330 for placing as 2nd place and @grandmaR for a first place win! It's your turn now to run the next mini challenge!

• Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,744 Major grins

Congratulations to the winners.

Also thanks for doing the tough job evaluating all these pictures.

• Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Congrats to GrandmaR! And to Mongoose330 & JAG! Thanks for the HM - lots of great shots this round! & thanks for the detailed comments! Great mini Sherry!!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins

A big congratulations to all the winners and thanks Sherry, for the HM. And thanks especially for taking the time to make detailed comments ,

• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins

Congrats GrandmaR, a very "imagenative" picture :) , well deserved.

Also congrats to Mongoose330 and JAG, great entries

Last but not least, thanks to Sherry for the detailed comments, that makes these mini's so much more enjoyable!

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

I didn't have entries for this mini, but it was so much fun to watch. All of the entries were amazing - I don't envy Sherry the work she had to do to judge this one! Congratulations to everyone and especially to GrandmaR for the 1st place. Very clever and special entry, GrandmaR.

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

Oh wow. Thank you and congratulations to everyone.

I have to go to respiratory therapy this morning so I'll think about it and I'll post after I get back.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins

This was a fun one! Thanks for providing such detailed comments. Congratulations to the winners, especially GrandmaR! (...and thanks for the HM!)

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

Wow , I was so not expecting that , Thank you very much , and to the deserving winner , I am honored to be somehow , up there with you awesome photographers..