Unexpected

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins

Sometimes, when you shoot, you get something you didn't expect when you start processing the day's shots.

Walking down St George Street in St Augustine, I glanced down a side street and saw this street musician. I tend to
turn and shoot quickly on shots like this because I don't want the subject to notice me. I wasn't quick enough here.

When processing the image, though, my first thought was "What happened to the wall?". The man is evidently sitting
just where that raised part of the wall, and the lower color of the wall, stop. It looks like I cloned out the area to the
left, but this image hasn't been edited at all.

Then I noticed the extra foot which seems to be attached to a sleeping friend. At first I didn't even notice him/her..

These two elements ruin the photo for me, but they are a primo example of the unexpected.

If Tom is still reading this group...That whole historic district has become home to street beggers. Every cross street
along St George has panhandlers on all four corners. In just a few short blocks I must have seen 30 of them.

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Hi Tony,

These street beggars present a monumental problem for St. Augustine. In addition to a severe lack of adequate parking for the historic area, these panhandlers present a very perplexing problem for the town administration. I'll read where some restrictive policies have supposedly been enacted to control the situation, yet every time I'm in St. Augustine the problem seems to simply have gotten worse. There is currently a move afoot to completely ban their presence in the historic district. There are some legal issues, however, that have to be resolved before such a complete ban can be affected. The local merchants are squealing loudly that their businesses are suffering. When their wailing reaches a certain crescendo, as appears immanent, perhaps a permanent solution will evolve.

I hope you're doing well, Tony.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins

Tom said: These street beggars present a monumental problem for St. Augustine

I have no problem with buskers in areas like this. They are offering entertainment in
    exchange for money. The 30 beggars I referred to, though, were either holding handmade
    signs asking for money or calling out to passers-by.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

I don't think the foot or the wall ruin the pic. The foot is part of the story. The wall does look weird, but I like weird.

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins

Well, this is what I expected to see:

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Damn, Tony, I'm right impressed with your photoshop skills.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.