Dgrin Mini-Challenge #272 - BOATS

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
edited August 30, 2018 in The Dgrin Challenges

I like boats. Or actually my husband likes sailboats and sailing, so when we are out in our boat I mostly take photos of other boats. And I do mean BOATS and not ships. One thing that sets a ship apart from a boat is size. According the U.S. Naval Institute, a boat, generally speaking, is small enough to be carried aboard a larger vessel. So we had a mini two years ago which was Ships and Boats and it was mostly ships.

So no ships. No cruise ships or Navy ships or cargo ships. No big sailing ships. Just boats. And I would prefer no PWCs (Personal water craft) or kayaks. Rowboats are OK. I would prefer that the boat be the main thing that you are taking a photo of, not something that just happened to be in a photo of something else - like a sunset with a tiny boat in one corner,

or this one which has a bunch of boats in the foreground, but I was really taking a photo of Vesuvius (1964)

It makes me sad to see photos of wrecks or abandoned things although they make good subjects

I like work boats like this crab pot boat

Shrimp boats in the fog in Oriental NC

And this is our sailboat under sail but the top of the mast is cut off - it is a film photo from 2000.

I went out in the dinghy and Bob sailed around us

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

The challenge will run until September 16th - Sunday at noon EDT.
**OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2018

Hmmmm...I'm not sure if anything I have will fit the theme. I have quite a few with small fishing boats (the one or two person kind), but usually those boats were foreground of something else I was photographing.

1. Here is a shot of the Staten Island Ferry on a very cloudy day. This might be a bigger boat than you want though.

2. This was some type of party boat or tour boat on the Potomac that I thought kind of looked like a pirate boat. It was almost dark, so really hard to get a great shot of it.

3. This is one of the many sailboats that were out the day we visiting the Statue of Liberty. It was a beautiful day for boats.

I'll share these just for grins. I wasn't taking either of these photos solely because of the boats, but I liked that the boats were in the foreground.

Another cool party boat or tour boat. It was too close to us for me to get the entire boat in the frame. Oh well.

Let me know if this isn't what you are looking for. I don't know what else I might have, though.

Sherry P.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

The Staten Island ferry is kind on the edge of too big but I would not say not to submit it. The two sailboats are fine. I do love the party boat which is not all in the frame although I can't tell how big it is - it is such a cool paint job.

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

"I do love the party boat which is not all in the frame although I can't tell how big it is - it is such a cool paint job."

That paint job is what caught my eye! I hated that I wasn't able to catch it all in a frame, but we were moving away from them too quickly. It was about the size of the Island Queen in the picture right above it.

Sherry

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 31, 2018

1 "Let's be friends" (wild animals want the catch of the day on the back of the boat.

2 Abandoned "Nomad" (Joe Reddington Sr.'s boat. He use to use this boat to cross the Cook inlet to get to Anchorage from his home in Knick. One day he went home and docked his boat, but never went out in it again. That was in the '70's. There it sits, the water level never reaches it anymore.)

3 Ride at Sunset

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Here are my entries:

1) Humbolt Bay Boat Tour - Arcata/Eureka, Ca.

3) Abandoned - only birds are interested.

3) Puget Sound Evening Calm

Joyce I've seen gulls and pelicans after the Catch of the Day, but never a sea lion. And Jo I love the sailboat which can't possibly be actually sailing as there is obviously no wind.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Here are my three GrandmaR.

1) Luffing around the inner harbor, Jamestown, RI (if this is too much of a detail shot for you, I can replace it with another)

2) Boat traffic on the Grand Canal, Venice

3) The harbor in Piriac-sur-Mer, France

Sara, detail is fine

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

@grandmaR said:

So no ships. No cruise ships or Navy ships or cargo ships. No big sailing ships. Just boats.

So I guess this is out...

:D Actually, in the Air Force, if it didn't have wings and got wet, it was a "boat".

Here are my three:

1 - PT on Patrol: A restored WWII-era PT Boat on the Hudson River in upstate New York. I had the chance to shoot it for promotional photos for a joint program my air museum was planning with them.

2 - After the Storm: Fishing boats out on Long Island Sound after an evening thunderstorm rolled through.

3 - Cold Spring Harbor Sunset: Boats moored in Cold Spring Harbor on Long Island's North Shore

The tugboats shepherding the carrier would be the boats in that photo!!

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Cool theme & some great shots already!

1 Sailboats off Navy Pier

2 Frankenstein's Boat Party (looks like I'm spying again lol!)

3 Lazy day on the Niangua

I know you said you didn't want kayaks, wasn't sure about canoes - I can change it out easily. :)

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins

1) Scooting around Maine

2) Captain Jack off Cumberland Island, Georgia

3) Low tide in Husum, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany

Lillian, I love canoes. And Kurt those are just the kinds of photos I had in mind.

@BMW Kurt said:
    3) Low tide in Husum, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany

Wow! When they say "low tide" they really mean it!

There are some areas with 8 foot tides (or more) and so it is fairly common for boats to be aground at low tide. It's more of a problem for sailboats with a keel although in some places they have a careenage which is where they put the boat up where the tide will go out so that they can clean the bottom.

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins

Living along a river (Schelde) and not far from Antwerp, I have a lot of pictures of boats and ships.

1. High and dry

1. Triplets

1. Low tide

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Nice theme, with many nice entries so far. This will be difficult to judge again (which is a good thing :) )

Here's my three entries:

1: Along the Maas in Bokhoven

2: Slow decay

3: Five in a row on tow

And here's an additional one, not an entry but fun to show boats can be used for more then just going out on the water ;)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

you are right going to be difficult to judge
    When I see a bunch of sailboats (or any boats) under tow by a single towing boat I always wonder how they stop. Boats don't have brakes

@pegelli said:

3: Five in a row on tow

Is that a submarine poking out of the water in the upper right part of the photo?

I'm not Peter but I think that is just a buoy. When a sub is surfacing or underway submerged they make a BIG disturbance in the water.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

Saldanha harbour , South Africa

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

I've no idea whether pics of model boats are allowed, but that's what I would've entered - then I remembered you guys had been subjected to such in a recent mini set by me ... so I'll not use them again :)

pp

Saldanha Bay , South Africa

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

What a lovely surprise to return and find such a great challenge underway! Thanks @grandmaR . I love the images posted already. Small boats are a favorite theme (but no Kayaks?! :( ) Below are my three contributions plus one extra

Done fishing - Rose Spit Haida Gwaii

Rush - Rio Napo, Ecuador

Wreck, Finn Slough, Richmond, BC (Perhaps I have a thing for wrecked boats?)

A extra contribution, this one from the Galapagos Islands, which I titled "Barrett's Privateers" And I linked the title to the great song by Stan Rogers, if you are interested.

Sa

Saldanha Bay

last day

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited September 19, 2018

GrandmaR, I have enjoyed visiting this mini from time to time. Lots of lovely images! I managed to find two photos to contribute. Thanks for a fun mini!

1) Passing on the Left

2) Seen in India near Fort Cochin

OK the mini is closed - I forgot I said the 16th and let it run until the 19th. But I will pick later today